Introduction

From: Mike Travers <mt@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 18:54:35 -0700
To: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org
Greetings,

I've been reading this list for awhile and I thought it was time to
introduce myself.  I'm Mike Travers, a software developer and researcher who
has been working in knowledge-based life science applications for the past
eight years or so.  My background is in end-user programming systems,
visualization, knowledge representation, and human interface design.  Some
relevant past projects include Afferent, a system for knowledge management
in  combinatorial chemistry and other drug discovery applications, and
BioBike, a platform for knowledge-based programming for bioinformatics.
These were all pre-semantic web, more or less.

Since then I've worked on some commercial tools for semantic web
visualization, integration, and lightweight ontology construction, and am
currently an independent consultant working on a variety of semantic-web
related projects, including helping contributing to Alan Ruttenberg's LSW
software, and working with CommerceNet on patient-facing healthcare
systems.  My current interests include representing clinical and patient
information, deductive information retrieval, e-learning, targeted
information presentation and in general building flexible tools to connect
people and knowledge.

Mike Travers, Ph.D.

PS: Here is a paper on BioBike (which was formerly called BioLingua).  One
of my current goals is to bring this approach into the Semantic Web world.

http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/bth465?ijkey=56vHZ9Co9fWyA&keytype=ref
J. P. Massar, Michael Travers, Jeff Elhai, and Jeff Shrager
BioLingua: a programmable knowledge environment for biologists