Re: Advancing translational research with the Semantic Web

  MK> I like more expressivity as well, but then, I'm not implementing
  MK> systems where I'd have to wait 'long' for query answers or see
  MK> my computer hang upon classifying 1 instance in an 50-concept
  MK> small ontology (with the latest pellet for owl 1.1). I did try
  MK> to load in Protégé and SWOOP the FMA-lite, which is a 43MB OWL
  MK> file. It failed.

It's worth pointing out here, that the problem may be OWL rather than
the underlying semantics. The OWL syntax does tend to produce ontology
explosions.

  MK> Reasoning over sections of the FMA that take into account only
  MK> some constructors is possible [1], which brings us back to your
  MK> earlier comment that "people have argued against more expressive
  MK> languages, in fact have argued with great force and vehemence,":

I have this image of a protest march

 -- What do we want?
 -- Lower pay
 -- When do we want it?
 -- Tomorrow

No one in the entirety of all history has ever argued for less
expressivity in their languages (well O'Brien in 1984, but he's a
fictional character), just a different compromise.

Phil