Re: Advancing translational research with the Semantic Web

On May 21, 2007, at 11:24 AM, Pat Hayes wrote:

>>  >>>>> "CM" == Chris Mungall <cjm@fruitfly.org> writes:
>>

>>   >> Out of curiosity, can you describe how different or similar this
>>   >> is to the result that you can achieve in the N-ary relation
>>   >> design pattern for OWL?
>>   >>
>>   >> Obviously, building things into the DL is nice, but it's not
>>   >> currently representable in OWL, so would require tooling
>> support,
>>   >> while the OWL N-ary relation pattern doesn't.
>>
>>   CM> I'm afraid I'm unclear how to state the OWL n-ary relation
>>   CM> pattern (http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-n-aryRelations) where I
>>   CM> really need it. In all the examples given, the "lifted"[*] n-
>> ary
>>   CM> relation was never truly a relation in the first place and
>>   CM> always better modeled as a class. It's kind of cheating.
>>
>> Well, it is kind of cheating, yes, although if it works...
>
> No, really, its not cheating. This reduction of n-ary relations to
> binary+unary relations is quite general and quite sound, and has
> been known and thoroughly understood for over a century. It can
> always be done, and it often makes perfectly good intuitive sense.
> The 'thing' that the arguments all relate to is something like the
> event, or fact, or situation, or state of affairs that holds, etc..
> (choose your favorite terminology)

Sorry, I shouldn't have used a pejorative term like cheating, I was
just pointing out that if I am presented with a template for a
solution for problem X and that solution is to transform to
representation Y, this doesn't help if my problem was actually X2 and
I would have used Y for X in the first place.

Or let me be more concrete: using an ontology like BFO (perhaps DOLCE
too) as a guiding framework, one would use owl classes and not owl
object properties for diagnoses, observations, purchases and flight
segments (the examples given in the n-ary note). Applying the same
pattern to relations that should be modeled as relation leads to more
design decisions and more complex representations.

>>   CM> What if my n-ary relation is transitive or if the 3rd argument
>>   CM> is a temporal interval over which the relation holds?
>>
>> The former is hard because it's not clear what do you with n-ary
>> relationships. I think that this is true for any
>> representation. Fundamentally, if you say "a is part of b" and I say
>> "b is part of c", then is "a part of c" and according to whom?
>
> Right, it simply isn't clear what 'transitive' means for relations
> other than binary. Try writing it out as an axiom in logic to see
> all the different possibilities.

This would have to be done on a case by case basis. I believe someone
is working on this for the time-indexed temporal relations in the OBO
relation ontology

>> It is possible to use build on top of the n-ary relationship, for
>> example a symmetric property. Perhaps you could do the same for
>> transitivity if you could work out exactly what the semantic should
>> be.
>>

>>   CM> I think the former is doable with property role chains.
>> Updating
>>   CM> the n-ary relations note with this - and all the other omitted
>>   CM> details, such as how to re-represent domain/range, functional
>>   CM> properties, n- ary relations in restrictions etc - would take a
>>   CM> lot of work and would make it utterly terrifying to the naive
>>   CM> user.
>
> Well, naive users probably shouldn't be trying to represent
> functional relations with more than one argument. This kind of
> thing just IS complicated.
>
> My advice to new users is to forget completely about N-ary
> relations. Tell yourself that there are no relations in nature
> above binary. If you think you need one, re-think what you are
> trying to say so that it all fits into the binary case. Chances are
> this will be fairly easy to do, and as a side-effect, you will
> probably then be much more clear on what exactly it is that you
> want to say about transitivity, functionality, domains and so forth.

I'm afraid that one of the core ontologies we are using disagrees
with this:
http://genomebiology.com/2005/6/5/R46