Re: Evidence for backing statements

Eric --

You wrote...    I see several potential categories of uncertainty, some
around the current reification discussions; here's a starter list that is by
no means exhaustive: ........ 4. ???

Here's my 2 cents worth for item 4.

I'd say that an application or a reasoner that uses RDF or other data can
supply natural language phrases to indicate the real world meaning and
(un)certainty of what it has found.  Such as --

       "Arif Durrani could have met with the following person(s) near LAX
from 200610060900 to 200610061945 :  Mohammed Al-Bisri , Samir Hakim"

       "as far as is known at 200705119 1529 the contributors to the
discussion are Matt, Adrian, Dan, Chris, Eric" ,

    "based on past experience, it is likely that at least one further W3C
member will add to the discussion"

    "according to the popular literature, red wine is good for you, but the
refereed literature mostly regards this as unproven"

and so on.

It just so happens that this kind of thing works rather well in the online
system [1].  In particular, English explanations from the system allow one
to drill down into the support for a hedged result, in English, to see in
detail if one agrees with the hedging.

The key requirement is to have a completely automated round trip linkage
between English and some form of executable logic.  In general this is
regarded as an "AI-complete" problem, but there are automated work-arounds
that are useful in practice, such as in [1].

Some examples you can view, run and change:

   www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/ArmsDealerMeeting1.agent

   www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/BlackScholes1.agent

   www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/MedMine2.agent

    www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/Pc-Os-Ontology1.agent

    www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/RDFQueryLangComparison1.agent

    www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/SemanticResolution2.agent

www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/Oil-IndustrySupplyChain1Sqlmysql.agent

Hope this helps.

                                                Cheers,    - Adrian

[1] Internet Business Logic
A Wiki for Executable Open Vocabulary English
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com    Shared use is free

Adrian Walker
Reengineering