Re: Evidence for backing statements

On May 18, 2007, at 7:40 PM, Eric Neumann wrote:

> am I correct to assume that within HCLS, all RDF statements we are
> considering are not facts, but assertions, that may in the future
> be proven false, but never proven true?

I am very excited to hear this will be a W3C focused activity.
Statistical techniques of all sorts - Bayesian especially - are
critical data reduction and analysis tools driving interpretation in
all areas of biomedical science and clearly there needs to be some
way for representational techniques to interoperate with the derived
probabilistic analyses.  My tendency is toward the sort of link Chris
Mungall mentioned earlier, whereby the statistics is linked
indirectly, as opposed to being intrinsic to the represented assertions.

I agree with your proposal, except for the closing statement.

It's not clear to me under what circumstances the following
assertions given as an OWL "defining" relations would be useful to
consider as something other than fact:
	"All viable eukaryotic cells have functional mitochondria located
inside them"
	"Presynaptic vesicle fusion in neurons leads to release of small
molecule and neuropeptide neurotransmitters into the extracellular
space."

Establishing facts such as this obviously have more than a
pedagogical purpose.  They are an important part of the network of
assertions used to drive inference, and - as facts - they need to be
accorded a different role in the inferencing process than assertions
that cannot be established as "universals".

I'm probably being overly naive in stating this view.  If that is so,
I welcome others with greater in depth knowledge of the logical
formalisms and implemented tools to explain why one would not want to
make this distinction between the superset of RDF assertions and that
subset expressing established fact.  This is a subset whose absolute
size continues to grow - though its relative size compared to all
assertions is clearly decreasing at a much faster rate given all the
high-throughput experimental techniques introduced in the last 30 years.

Having said this, I do agree it would be very much mutually
beneficial for members of the HCLS IG to provide use cases for this
uncertainty reasoning group to examine.

Cheers,
Bill

Bill Bug