Re: Advancing translational research with the Semantic Web

>  >>>>> "EJ" == Eric Jain <Eric.Jain@isb-sib.ch> writes:
>
>   EJ> Just catching up on reading papers :-)
>
>   EJ> <http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/8/S3/S2>
>
>   EJ> "It is also useful to know who believes something and
>   EJ> why. However, there is no standard way of expressing such
>   EJ> information about a statement [...]"
>
>   EJ> Reification?
>
>That's who, not why. The Gene Ontologies evidence codes are and
>references are much closer.
>
>Also, I am not sure of the semantics of reification. Does it mean "I
>made this statement", "I believe this statement" or "I am the person
>responsible for the evidence on which this statement is based". All
>three are independent I think.

None of these. It just gives you a way to refer to 'this statement'.
What you say ABOUT the statement is up to you, and requires an
ontology of statement-making or belief or responsibility. For one
suggested approach to all this (which avoids the rather clunky RDF
reification mechanism) see

http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2004/HPL-2004-57R1.html

Pat Hayes

>Phil

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell