Re: Notes from informal Demo F2F

Here's my analysis:

I think Bill wants (1). Bill is trying to convince the SWAN team to
curate to a level deeper than you are going now, by naming and
collecting relationships between the biological entities that are
being talked about in the paper SWAN curates. The page he references
is detailing his own effort to simultaneously learn for himself and
engage us (HCLS) to try to explicitly representing more of the
biological facts/hypotheses at the level of the participating
biological entities. PATO, the ontology he is trying to learn how to
use,  is just one of the OBO ontologies - its domain is phenotypes
(or qualities in BFO speak) of organisms and properties of some sub-
organismal biological material. He thinks that there is a lot a work
in the rest of the OBO ontologies and other community efforts, and
that this should be taking advantage as much as possible in our efforts.

He's also coming from perspective, which I think originates with
Barry Smith, that many of the problems we have had in managing and
making productive use of information related to biology and health in
recent history originate from not trying to represent reality, and
instead representing "concepts" which, because they don't connect
clearly enough to reality, don't land up having enough shared meaning
to make good use of when integrated or scaled.

My understanding from discussions we (Tim and I)  have had is that
the SWAN project has, as a matter of setting scope, and addressing
its use cases, decided against doing this, at least for the moment.
This is an understandable choice - it's pretty hard work to learn and
do this kind of representation,  as practices and the ontologies
themselves are just developing. I think this is a reasonable
decision, given that what Bill is suggesting is by no means easy. I'm
curious to see what happens with SWAN. I suspect that Bill is too!

Still, Bill is hopeful that the SWAN team will change its mind,
because he thinks, as some subset of the people on this list, that
his kind of  representation will be what leads to the most
substantial payback in what it enables for science and medicine.

Hope this helps,

Alan