Re: cell types, brain regions mentioned in gensat

The CRITICAL issue here given the current BioRDF data sources is:
	can you align what you are doing with GENSAT cell types with:
		- BrainPharm/SenseLab
		- CCDB (which I'll help you to specify this weekend - as I've been
doing with ABA & GENSAT)

CL ontology and MeSH for that matter  covers many of these cell types
(MeSH at a coarse level) though their underlying graph doesn't
necessarily match to that of GENSAT, BrainPharm, or Cell-Centered
Dtb, because of differing application requirements.

Of the other data sets listed on the BioRDF data page:
	http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLSIG_BioRDF_Subgroup/Data

those likely to include important cell level info are:
	- GO (will have pre-composed references to many neuronal cell types)
	- BioCyc (will have pre-composed references to many neuronal cell
types)
	- Reactome (will have pre-composed references to many neuronal cell
types)
	- KEGG (depending on the subset that has been converted)
	- OMIM  (depending on the subset that has been converted)
	- PubMed (PubMed XML instances are filled with MeSH terms - many
"coarse" neuronal types will be there - THOUGH - whether a term-based
matching will create TRUE assertions in your triplets is anyone's
guess - really would need to be manually reviewed - as would most
neuronal cell type bridging we do de novo for this demo)
	- BioZen (http://neuroscientific.net/bio-zen.owl)

Is this page still accurate and comprehensive?  We certainly will
need to add GENSAT, ABA, and CCDB (once that's been mapped).

BioZen has a cell type "concept", but I'm not certain whether
Matthias has mapped specific cell types in as sub-types:
OWL-Class: bio-zen:cell-type-concept

Annotations:
rdfs:label (Datatype http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string) :
Celltype concept
rdfs:comment (Datatype http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string) :
Concept describing a cell type (e.g. "hepatocyte", "neuron", "HeLa
cell").

Subclass of:
bio-zen:cell-concept

Cheers,
Bill

On Mar 2, 2007, at 12:50 PM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> A reasonable suggestion.
>
> I'm kind of fishing for a volunteer to verify that whatever source
> we choose has the appropriate coverage, and then to the mapping do
> the mapping :)
>
> Regarding ontological questions, the usual thing I see in these
> sorts of hierarchies is that derivation is confused with is_a.
> I might use the URIs someone else coined for the specific classes
> of cells and then then arrange the ontology properly.
>
> -Alan
>
> On Mar 2, 2007, at 11:47 AM, Chris Mungall wrote:
>

>> Umm, the OBO Cell ontology? There are a few ontological issues
>> with OBO-Cell right now, but these are currently being addressed.
>> There are also efforts within OBO to link cells with the brain
>> regions they are part of, although these are currently focused on
>> model organisms.
>>
>> On Mar 2, 2007, at 8:13 AM, Donald Doherty wrote:
>>

>>> Alan,
>>>
>>> The region names are all available in the MeSH...would that give
>>> you the
>>> taxonomy you need? I don't know of a similar source for cell types.
>>>
>>> Don

Bill Bug

www.neuroterrain.org
Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy