Re: RE: RE: [hcls] A map of the Semantic Web for life science and health care

See an opportunity to chime in here and perhaps provide perspective from my
perch.

First, I hate to put a damper on enthusiasm and passion, provided of course
it's not wasted on beating one's head against a wall for no reason, which is
too often the case in my business and history.

Secondarily, visualization and the use of maps can be very useful in
communications- with some more than others. Otherwise we wouldn't be using a
mouse. I would caution against attempting to show the enormously broad areas
such as "healthcare" as it's nearly impossible, or even the semantic web.
I've reviewed some of the efforts to use mapping for the entire web or
portions thereof- unless it can be totally automated with full participation
and enormous drill downs like physical/earth search engine maps, few have
sufficient resources even if it could be managed well.

I would also add that one shouldn't cave into peer pressure even in a
collaborative forum as that would have stalled most important innovations.
If a person sees value in something that others don't, well that's how we
evolve- by demonstrating it. Academia in particular is obviously famous for
protecting turf and tearing down good efforts (including squashing funding)
that later proved not only valid, but superior to the status quo. While I
find myself agreeing often here with Pat, and it's a good question, I don't
think there is any question on the answer- maps do have value, particularly
when linked/functional- but it all depends on the map which of course
depends upon the technology and not only the skills of the creators, but
also their understanding of what needs to be shown.

While on the topic, I'd like to share some views on the semantic web from a
business perspective. Unlike the web, the semantic web has failed to become
widely adopted in a short period of time, so the criticisms are often valid
and it would be foolhardy to disagree with much of it as it is factual. Of
course the dollars flowing into R&D make admitting that very difficult for
those who have conflicts, which is almost everyone, and that's not good for
the medium or goal. Truth works best regardless of how difficult to accept.
However, that's not to say in the least that the incremental tech advances
used between partners in private, or that which can be shared publicly, is
of any less value. The potential value for society, particularly in science,
is huge. Interoperability is essential as is collaboration. But make no
mistake that our world has finite resources and even the most charitable
investments must demonstrate that the investment is worthwhile- otherwise
the resources will flow elsewhere eventually. And much of this frankly
represents intellectual property even from universities and foundations-
even government agencies don't share much.

Unfortunately, it is true that universal standards often conflict directly
with the interests of the prospective users and stake holders- particularly
the entrenched, so aligning interests is obviously essential and very
difficult. The internet and web were both historic exceptions of immense
proportions, but they are not the only. As a practical matter, it is very
difficult for me to find viable business and economic models relating to the
semantic web and ontologies other than simply consulting and services of the
type we've seen clustered around D.C.- but that's a relatively tiny portion
of even a niche. That is a problem for wide adoption, as is the complexity
of the tools. And the more free work that is done at higher quality, the
more acclimatized customers become to receiving services and products for
free, so the barriers to entry for innovators (sustainable economics) become
ever greater. The law of best inentions is alive and well here and
elsewhere.

Generally speaking, it's been my observation over time that highly focused
entrepreneurial efforts can be very effective in overcoming many of these
obstacles, and frankly better than loose knit collaborations, but it's also
extremely challenging to serve new technologies and products to the
enterprise market. .02- MM

Mark Montgomery
CEO, Kyield
http://www.kyield.com