Re: Evidence

On Jun 21, 2007, at 2:57 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:

> Which simplifies things enormously and means that busy, practical
> biologists don't have to keep wondering whether the Krebs cycle or
> a computer program is a continuant or an occurrent

Why would a busy, practical biologist ever wonder if a computer
program was a continuant or occurrent?

I'll bet the busy practical biologists that build the Gene Ontology
didn't spend much time debating whether or not tricarboxylic acid
cycle belonged in the biological process hierarchy - they just put it
there. Similarly with the OBO chemical entity ontology and
tricarboxylic acid. Of course, neither had either BFO or the
continuant-occurrent distinction at the back of their mind, the
distinction was more up the mid-upper level, ie the roots of the
respective domain ontologies (as well as just common sense). It
happens that BFO happens to match this very nicely - which perhaps
reinforces your point that it's the mid-upper level distinctions that
matter (although I may be wrong - your position would seem to be that
we can mush together the chemical entity continuants and the
processes they participate in).

It's unfortunate that you keep choosing bad examples to back up your
claims - there are actually better ones. If you do jump back into the
fray (hope you do), try a gnarly embryological development example.
Or perhaps something to do with qualities...