Re: ISMB/ECCB2007 Demo Acceptance

I will not be able to attend, unfortunately.

However, the Mouse BIRN Atlas Toolkit (MBAT) contributing programmers
have succeeded in using some of the demo (the Allan Brain Atlas (ABA)
RDF repository and GoogleMaps/JS-HTML template Alan created) to
integrate ABA data in a semantically relevant manner into the MBAT
atlasing environment.  I was able to quickly Skype Alan in last week
as they demo'd this for the Mouse BIRN group.  I think it would be a
wonderful example of how SemWeb made it possible for BIRN to achieve
a "lite" integration of a complex, related image repository (ABA)
with the primary cost being to learn how to use Jena for SPARQL
queries and to enhance Alan's original GoogleMaps/JS-HTML template by
running it in Java HTML Browser where they could also include
thumbnails of the entire coronal or sagittal series - as well as
links to the NeuroCommons "related literature" repository.  These
were all experienced Java coders (really two lead programmers) who
started with NO knowledge of RDF or SemWeb Tech in late April while
working on many other tasks in parallel.  Given the glacial pace some
of these joint neuroinformatics projects move at, I think what they
were able to achieve with a hours invested per week over several
weeks is truly quite remarkable.

If others feel it's relevant, this could be added to the ISMB demo as
an example  of how quickly others have been able to make effective
use of this SemWeb demo application.

This will certainly be shown at the Society for Neuroscience Mouse
BIRN MBAT presentations in November, as will use of the exact same
interface against other multi-resolution image pyramids (the Zoomify
format used by ABA) collected in other Mouse BIRN related projects
such as the Cell-Centered Database (CCDB) and the Mouse Brain Library
(MBL) projects.

Please let me know whether you think it would be appropriate to
include this in the ISMB demo, and I'll have the MBAT folks get in
touch.

Cheers,
Bill

On Jun 16, 2007, at 10:47 AM, Eric Neumann wrote:

> Eric,
>
> It is planned to be the same demo with a few additions to the
> query, including some additional visualizations.
>
> Folks on the HCLSIG mailing list, please add your name to the
> following page if you are planning to attend ISMB2007: http://
> esw.w3.org/topic/HCLS/ISMB2007
>
> We will use this to coordinate plans...
>
> Eric