Re: Advancing translational research with the Semantic Web

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 23:19:46 -0700
To: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Cc: samwald@gmx.at, public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org, Eric.Jain@isb-sib.ch

>On May 16, 2007, at 3:53 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>>Named graphs ARE supported by most triplestores, but they are
>>>mostly already reserved for other uses, like the representation of
>>>provenance based on the RDF files that the triples were loaded
>>Reserved? In what sense? a single URi can have multiple properties
>>and hence multiple uses.
>I think he means reserved in the sense of the question I asked you
>about nested graphs - if graphs can't nest then it seems difficult,
>on the face of it, to have a graph that groups a set of statements
>that, say, comes from one data provider(the provenance information),
>and within it graphs that mark groups of statements in order to talk
>about evidence for them.

Ah, I see. Yes, there are all kinds of ways that structures of sub-
and super- graphs could be defined which are not currently supported
by any standards in the RDF family.

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell