Re: Advancing translational research with the Semantic Web

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 23:19:46 -0700
To: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Cc: samwald@gmx.at, public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org, Eric.Jain@isb-sib.ch

>On May 16, 2007, at 3:53 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:
>
>>>Named graphs ARE supported by most triplestores, but they are
>>>mostly already reserved for other uses, like the representation of
>>>provenance based on the RDF files that the triples were loaded
>>>from.
>>>

>>Reserved? In what sense? a single URi can have multiple properties
>>and hence multiple uses.
>>

>I think he means reserved in the sense of the question I asked you
>about nested graphs - if graphs can't nest then it seems difficult,
>on the face of it, to have a graph that groups a set of statements
>that, say, comes from one data provider(the provenance information),
>and within it graphs that mark groups of statements in order to talk
>about evidence for them.

Ah, I see. Yes, there are all kinds of ways that structures of sub-
and super- graphs could be defined which are not currently supported
by any standards in the RDF family.

>-Alan

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell