Re: Ambiguous names. was: Re: URL +1, LSID -1

As EricJ's recent note confirmed, and as I suspected, the problem
goes substantially deeper than the issue of simply punning the record
and the protein class.

The fundamental problem is that the record, having not been designed
as the definition of something, isn't the *unambiguous* definition of
anything.

I think this illustrates that that the principal of distinguishing,
as separate URIs, the name of the record from the name of the thing,
will prove to be a useful principle to adopt as a recommended
practice. If forcing people to separately define them prevents an
ambiguity from being introduced in even a few percent of the cases,
then it will be worth the cost. If past experience is anything to go
on, I'm guessing the fraction of cases where this happens will be
substantially higher.

-Alan