Re: Immunity of SW statements to changes in location - data integration use case

M. Scott Marshall wrote:
> During data integration or "data reuse", we have to relate statements
> about 'biothings' to each other in order to be sure that we can properly
> use someone else's statements/data. In that case, it is extremely
> convenient if we have used the same identifier to refer to the same
> 'biothing'. We would also like our statements to remain true (based on
> the 'biothings' and their relations at the moment the statement was
> made, even if some aspect of the data evolves (physical storage
> location, new results, new relations, etc.).

For integrating "biothings", http://purl.uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345 should
be perfect! The main discussion at the moment is how much of a benefit
there is in having a PURL for a specific representation such as the web
page for P12345, in addition to the PURL for the "biothing" P12345.

I'll also add support for identifiers with version numbers, e.g.
http://purl.uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345.2, which should resolve to
http://beta.uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345?version=2, though most of our data
is not versioned, and there is no explicit syntax for versioning, either.