Re: 303 +1, WSDL -1

From: Carole Goble <carole.goble@manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 11:58:35 +0100
To: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
CC: Mark Wilkinson <markw@illuminae.com>, Jonathan Rees <jonathan.rees@gmail.com>, Michel_Dumontier <Michel_Dumontier@carleton.ca>, public-semweb-lifesci <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>, Benjamin Good <goodb@interchange.ubc.ca>, Natalia Villanueva Rosales <naty.vr@gmail.com>

Alan

> This can be done now, with effort analogous to what is being done with
> LSIDS. Let me point out some obvious advantages: 1) No requirement to
> use web services (though web services *could* be described as ways of
> accessing further statements using this scheme) 2) Requires *less*
> manual intervention than is currently required to maintain the WSDL.
> 3) Re-uses purl, which is based on HTTP, which everyone knows how to
> use already 4) Makes clear that the description of these additional
> resources for statements are to be in RDF, and requires that one
> advertises what to expect if you go to the resource (will you get an
> RDF document, a SPARQL endpoint, a Web service set of methods?)
and the disadvantages?  Lets not forget some basic rigour here. Other
than rebuilding everything from scratch. Again.

Carole