RE: 303 +1, WSDL -1

From: Eric Neumann <eneumann@teranode.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 13:55:22 -0400
To: "Alan Ruttenberg" <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>, "Mark Wilkinson" <markw@illuminae.com>
cc: "Jonathan Rees" <jonathan.rees@gmail.com>, "Michel_Dumontier" <Michel_Dumontier@carleton.ca>, "public-semweb-lifesci" <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>, "Benjamin Good" <goodb@interchange.ubc.ca>, "Natalia Villanueva Rosales" <naty.vr@gmail.com>
Two point to  include...

-----Alan Ruttenberg wrote: -----

> Problem statement:
>
> Enable third parties to register the fact that they have additional
> statements to provide about something that a URI denotes, in such a
> way as to make it easy for anyone to discover this fact. Do this in a
> way which requires minimal coordination (ideally none) between the
> minter of the original URI, the provider of the additional
> statements, and the consumer of all the statements.

I  first would like to mention to this group that statements about resources, as stated in the above example, is something the POWDER groups is trying to define: http://www.w3.org/2007/powder/

This may be a logical topic for interactions between the groups.

Second (for you Rails fans)...

> Configure the purl server so that http://purl.org/provide-about/a.b/c/
> d/e redirects to something akin to a structured wiki page or a REST
> service (let us assume for the moment that whoever currently provides
> the LSID WSDL that contains this information currently is the
> provider of this service).

The RESTful strategy is a very simple a practical method for re-routing URLs, and is used heavily in Ruby-Rails (see http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/NamedRoutes); it is also the basis of how I can establish stable URI in my projects even though the actual data site gets moved.

Eric