Re: URL +1, LSID -1

    Dear Benjamin,

    Please see my answers below (inline).

Benjamin Good wrote:
> I managed to get the Java client code from IBM
> (http://tinyurl.com/2hvjf6 ) running this morning, but a) it was a pain
Maybe we should make the client libraries easier to use. I don't know
exactly how easy it is to use the resolution (client) part of the Java
stack, but the Perl one is dead simple to use.

In any case, could you please be more specific and tell us (of just me
off list if you want) what were the major hurdles you had to hop? That
will help us address the issues more quickly.
> and b) of the few lsids I had on hand, only one of them worked.
Did you try and test these LSIDs on Rod Page's LSID tester
(http://linnaeus.zoology.gla.ac.uk/~rpage/lsid/tester/) or the TDWG LSID
on-line resolver (http://lsid.tdwg.org/)? Many LSIDs, especially those
from BioPathways are "broken" after they've switched off their LSID site.

In any case, here are a few that work:

urn:lsid:col2005.gbif.org:col2005:tc-(t.1246388)(d.)(cn.)(r.)
<http://linnaeus.zoology.gla.ac.uk/%7Erpage/lsid/tester/?q=urn:lsid:col2005.gbif.org:col2005:tc-%28t.1246388%29%28d.%29%28cn.%29%28r.%29>
urn:lsid:ubio.org:namebank:11815
<http://linnaeus.zoology.gla.ac.uk/%7Erpage/lsid/tester/?q=urn:lsid:ubio.org:namebank:11815>
urn:lsid:lsid.zoology.gla.ac.uk:predicates:isBasionymOf
<http://linnaeus.zoology.gla.ac.uk/%7Erpage/lsid/tester/?q=urn:lsid:lsid.zoology.gla.ac.uk:predicates:isBasionymOf>
urn:lsid:tdwg.gbif.org:dharma:10298322400
<http://linnaeus.zoology.gla.ac.uk/%7Erpage/lsid/tester/?q=urn:lsid:tdwg.gbif.org:dharma:10298322400>
urn:lsid:ubio.org:namebank:11815
<http://lsid.tdwg.org/urn:lsid:ubio.org:namebank:11815>
urn:lsid:ubio.org:classificationbank:1164063
<http://lsid.tdwg.org/urn:lsid:ubio.org:classificationbank:1164063>
urn:lsid:indexfungorum.org:Names:213649
<http://lsid.tdwg.org/urn:lsid:indexfungorum.org:Names:213649>
urn:lsid:gdb.org:GenomicSegment:GDB132938
<http://lsid.tdwg.org/urn:lsid:gdb.org:GenomicSegment:GDB132938>
urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:30000959-2
<http://lsid.tdwg.org/urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:30000959-2>

There are more LSIDs that work listed at:
http://lsids.sourceforge.net/resources/authorities/
<http://linnaeus.zoology.gla.ac.uk/%7Erpage/lsid/tester/?q=urn:lsid:tdwg.gbif.org:dharma:10298322400>
> I'm pretty new (and hesitant to join) the standards wars, but I think
> there is really a lot of power in the "he who codes first [and best]"
> wins" argument.  For those of you arguing for the adoption of LSIDs,
> IMHO, the most powerful thing you could really do at this point would
> be to step up and take over the development of the (as far as I can
> tell) abandoned code stack at the often-discussed sourceforge site.
> Given their experience using lsids, the BioMoby team (sorry Ed..) is
> really the most likely candidate to do this effectively.
You are absolutely right. However, we, from the biodiversity information
community, are also interested pushing LSIDs forward. We have now
updated the LSID website (now at http://lsids.sf.net - to be formally
annouced shortly) and created a new SF developer site
(http://sf.net/projects/lsids) to carry out new development.

On the source code front, we have some colleagues who have modified the
Java stack to work with their WebWork/Struts server. We will take a look
at their work and try to make it more general so others can use.

You will definitely hear more about all this shortly.

Cheers,

Ricardo