Re: URL +1, LSID -1

IMHO "best practice" would be to use LSID client software that did this:

>   - otherwise, use DDDS or SRV: contact the authority via DNS
> protocol, get location of resolver

The HTTP proxies are really there so people can play with these
things in browsers if they don't have support in their browser (e.g.,
FireFox plugin or LSID LaunchPad for IE 6). They have no claims to
stability or permanence.

You can NOT assume this:

>   - otherwise, maybe the authority itself has a resolver at
> http://foo.bar:8080/authority where foo.bar = the authority name
> (thanks Mark W)

Not every authority is on port 8080, nor does the authority resolver
have to have the same name as the authority in the LSID. This is why
you really want to look up the SRV record then pull off the WSDL file
describing the authority.

So, you need software that resolves the LSID and retrieves the
associated data or metadata. There are several kits that will do this
right now (the SourceForge site has Java and Perl code, and I have a
PHP client kicking around). LSIDs can be a bit complicated, but at
least there is a very explicit protocol for getting the metadata (you
don't have to guess, it tells you exactly how to retrieve it).

>   - otherwise, if the authority is offline, repurposed, or hostile,
> start using google, email, your rolodex, and your librarian to track
> down a resolver that knows about the LSID

I don't understand this bit:

> track
> down a resolver that knows about the LSID

This is about persistence, so isn't this really about caching, not
resolving?  Of course, the aspiration is that the LSID authority will
always be online ;-)   Ideally, people serving LSIDs would care as
much about making them persistent as organisations like CrossRef care
about ensuring that DOIs are always resolvable.

Rod

Professor Roderic D. M. Page
Editor, Systematic Biology
DEEB, IBLS