Re: URL +1, LSID -1

from http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/alternatives-discovery.html

> Our primary take-aways from the these observations are:
>
> URIs are cheap, we suggest creating as many distinctive URIs as is
> meaningful.
> The hyperlink structure of the Web is crucial for content
> discovery; when creating a multiplicity of URIs for a given
> canonical resource, ensure that the relationship amongst these
> multiple URIs is captured by the hyperlink structure of the
> content. This will ensure that Web user-agents (both human-facing
> as well as web crawlers) are able to discover the various available
> alternatives and even more importantly, discover the inter-
> relationship amongst these specific resources, and their mutual
> relationship to the generic resource.
> Encourage users and user-agents to work with canonical URIs; leave
> it to the underlying infrastructure to generate appropriate
> redirects in order to serve users the appropriate representation
> (specific resource). For each such available representation that is
> generated as a function of user context, ensure that there is a URI
> that can reproduce that representation (specific resource) in the
> absence of user context; or equivalently: for every representation,
> ensure that there is a URI that hard-wires all user context e.g.,
> language, device preference etc., required to generate that
> specific resource.

While I'm not always a fan of TAG findings, I think this one makes a
TON of sense.

>> f he's in an even better mood, perhaps he would even consider
>> creating    http://purl.uniprot.org/record/uniprot/P12345 to
>> denote the record, without commitment to format, and arrange to
>> have 303 responses as we have started to do with the HCLS demo.
>
> Are there any standards/tools that know what to do with 303 responses?

Some. An influential tool by a certain Tim Berners Lee called
Tabulator does. I've understood that it is considered a courtesy to
respond 303 to things which are not gettable as such, and to provide
information about related information, in this case the specifically
formatted versions.