Subject: [Moderator Action (size limit exceeded)] Re: Seeking Help with
finding an assertion
From: Mark Montgomery <markm@kyield.com>
To: Kei Cheung <kei.cheung@yale.edu>,	Skinner, Karen (NIH/NIDA) [E]
<kskinner@nida.nih.gov>
CC: public-semweb-lifesci hcls <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>

Karen,

You might want to review our flash demo on kyield (
http://www.kyield.com/takeatour.html ) as it deals with the broader
economic
issues of being stuck with primitive systems- in this case the cost to
organizations, despite having better options for some time now. I've been
ranting about the costs of interoperability for many years, comparing it to
most other industries that have required standards rather than a situation
in IT where one historically had to request permission from competitors to
build a better mouse trap- not terribly conducive to real innovation.

The questions you raise touch on an issue even more important than just ls
r&d, which is the efficiencies/productivity of all learning individuals and
organizations- worldwide. One of the primary reasons I have been passionate
about these and related issues (and dedicated a large portion of my net
worth and time for over a decade), is precisely because I have not found a
more important issue affecting more important issues..... The potential for
accelerating learning and discovery is humbling.

In the attached soft business case I sent to members of congress,
government
cios, the wh, etc., I attempted to show in a diplomatic way both the
cost in
human lives as well as economic in a hypothetical case that looks amazingly
like katrina (for not having a strong k-system), but similarly most major
preventable disasters share commonality. A few months later, I was told in
large part due to this admittedly very soft piece (typically no credit
however), a national knowledge system for the fed gov made it to the wh
agenda for the first time (apparently a requirement for any multi agency
gov-wide system)- it took over a decade and several disasters- sadly and
very frustrating- irony of the date- the U.S. has not been a leader in
national k systems. We still haven't found a way to work with the U.S.
government- and have all but given up.

On an interesting parallel topic with some overlap, this article interviews
Vint Cerf and Bob Kahn that touches on the evolution of the underlying
internet and a bit on current work in progress.
http://www.nvtc.org/voice/mayjune07.pdf

If you come across good economic data and analysis dealing with the costs
associated with working with net or web 1.0, or a cost benefit analysis on
the semantic web or related, I would appreciate being pinged to its
location
as I have not been terribly impressed with what I've found. I am quite
confident that the real costs are far greater than almost anyone
(apparently) understands. You ask the right question imho. I do hope we
find
some satisfactory answers- to date I have not.

Kind regards, Mark