From: public-semweb-lifesci-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-semweb-lifesci-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of William Bug
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2007 11:01 AM
To: Gwen Wong
Cc: 'Alan Ruttenberg'; 'Eric Neumann'; 'June Kinoshita'; 'Tim Clark';
'public-semweb-lifesci hcls'
Subject: Re: AD Use Case - about ADDLs [science] (corrected an error)

Many thanks, Gwen. This is all very helpful.

There's a very recent review from the AD research group at Merck apparently
covering all the issues re: ADDL and their ability to address what has
clearly been one of THE MOST difficult confounding FACTs for AD researchers
to confront.  The effect this fundamental piece of contradictory evidence
has daily on the practice of AD researchers from bench to bedside cannot be
over-stated.  They sum it up in the abstract of this review:

"...recent evidence, however, suggests that the presence or absence of
plaque is insufficient to fully account for the deleterious role of elevated
Aâ in AD."

That is why this Use Case is so particularly interesting.  It encapsulates a
desire to rapidly exploit at the BEDSIDE the most recent and promising
BENCH-based evidence (including clinical research) related to the following
alternative hypothesis:

"...soluble oligomers of Aâ (i.e., ADDLs) accumulate and cause functional
deficits prior to overt neuronal cell death or plaque deposition."

It would be great to have the body of this article as a review guide to the
current state of the art where ADDLs are concerned, as many of our questions
regarding how to represent the relevant biology have been distilled in this
review:

"The following review focuses on research describing the preparation and
functional activity of ADDLs in vitro and in vivo. These studies provide the
basis for an alternate, ADDL-based, view of the Aâ cascade hypothesis and
accounts for the disconnect between plaque burden and cognitive deficits.
Possible therapeutic approaches aimed at lowering ADDLs in AD patients are
also considered."

Unfortunately for all of us, this article is in a journal with very low
impact, so few libraries subscribe (ScienceCommons - please come to our
rescue!).

The Role of Amyloid-Beta Derived Diffusible Ligands (ADDLs) in Alzheimer's
Disease

Catalano, Susan M.1; Dodson, Elizabeth C.1; Henze, Darrell A.1; Joyce,
Joseph G.1; Krafft, Grant A.1; Kinney, Gene G.1

Current Topics in Medicinal Chemistry, Volume 6, Number 6, March 2006, pp.
597-608(12)

The bottom line is we need to do our best to express the KNOWN
relationship(s) between:

            1) the putative peptide-derived molecules indicated by the
entity "ADDL" which are most relevant to the AD disease process - along with
details of their biophysical state which come into play (polymerization,
mol. wt., etc.)

            2) the existing antibodies and these same putative
peptide-derived molecules with which they interact.

The core question encapsulated within the AD Use Case is:

            What is the most promising antibody-derived therapeutic agent to
the soluble amyloid Abeta derived diffusable ligand(s) worth trying in a
clinical trial that is much likely to cause the prohibitively negative
encephalitic side effects?

The existing evidentiary relations we need to represent in RDF to address
this question were listed in my transcription of June & Gwen's Use Case back
on December 15th:

            http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLS/AlzheimersUseCase

Whatever hypothetical assertions we'd ultimately seek to pose against the
converted RDF data sources we'd want to do our best to address these
specific issues.

Please take a look again at this Wiki page for a more complete listing of
the details.

There is one final issue I'd mention regarding our attempt to clarify how
best to handle the term "ADDL".  It is also an acronym for a totally
unrelated peptide-derived entity present both in the NCBI instance
repositories, as well as the literature:

21:       Katagiri T, Ozaki K, Fujiwara T, Shimizu F, Kawai A, Okuno S,
Suzuki M, Nakamura Y, Takahashi E, Hirai Y.            Related Articles,
Links

Abstract           Cloning, expression and chromosome mapping of
adducin-like 70 (ADDL), a human cDNA highly homologous to human erythrocyte
adducin.

Cytogenet Cell Genet. 1996;74(1-2):90-5.

PMID: 8893809 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Cheers,

Bill