Re: [biont] Nice wikipedia page on ontology

Thanks, Carole.

Which reminds me - there were two additional references I'd add to
the bottom of the page:

The Motagues and the Capulets
Carole Goble and Chris Wroe
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/109925284/
ABSTRACT?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

The recent Upper Ontology Summit (March 2006)
	http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit
	http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit/
UosJointCommunique

though unfortunately many of us lowly ontology users are still
waiting for some of the announced deliverables.  ;-)

Cheers,
Bill

On Jan 24, 2007, at 10:23 AM, Carole Goble wrote:

> Bill
>
> Hear hear!! Well said.
>
> Carole
>
>> I was thinking initially Phil's concerns may have been more in
>> terms of the wording used on the page, but Robert makes it more
>> clear the issues are much more fundamental than that.  All of
>> Robert's points sound very much to the root of why there would be
>> concerns this is not a comprehensive view of what "formal" can
>> mean in both the construction and use of ontologies.
>>
>> I did like the fact an attempt was made to include the cornucopia
>> of Upper Level ontologies in active use, since clarity on this
>> issue has often not been very good - and the arguments that rage
>> over which best fits a particular application can be difficult to
>> follow for some.
>>
>> I would certainly want to commend David Z's colleague for having
>> the bravery (others might call it temerity) to step out and make a
>> first stab at presenting - in a very public forum - a topic that
>> can often foment arguments during academic debates.  I've been
>> party to many public debates over specific scientific issues over
>> the years, but there is something about the topic of proper
>> ontology construction and implementation in biomedical informatics
>> - debates that must address what an ontology IS and what an
>> ontology IS NOT - that brings out the most vehement
>> disagreements.  The disagreements will remain, so long as there
>> are effective applications to demonstrate the value of the
>> differing points-of-view.
>>
>> Perhaps we could work to assist David D. in his noble effort to
>> disseminate information on this topic of great importance to many
>> of us in this very public forum, if others agree its useful to
>> have such a resource in the Wikipedia.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bill
>>

>> On Jan 24, 2007, at 9:50 AM, Davide Zaccagnini wrote:
>>
>>> David Decreane from L&C started that page and wrote good part of
>>> the content. I'm passing him your kind comments.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Davide

>>> 610 457 0443 (mobile)