Re: AD Use Case

Hi All,

I think Alan is getting at the right point here, but there is both a
BioRDF component task, as well as a BioONT component task involved here.

Sorry for digging a little into the biology here, but as we discussed
during the final manuscript review of the AD Use Case, ADDL is the
acronym for Amyloid-beta Derived Diffusible Ligands (PMID:
16712494).  ADDL represent a set of proteolytic products derived from
Amyloid-beta transciption products.  I believe neither of the
following are clear yet:
	1) what ALL the ADDL peptides are
	2) from which Abeta splice product (PMID: 7499323) they all derive
(the use case currently discusses > 1 - though it focusses on A-beta*56)
	3) exactly which ADDL ligand(s) are responsible for AD related
symptomotology
	4) exactly how ADDL expression in humans with AD and in AD mouse
models compare.

The goal is to test the ability of an anti-ADDL antibody to to
"clear" this toxic APP proteolytic product from the patient's CSF and
brain parenchyma.

June & Gwen can help us vet what I've stated above.  In particular, I
believe from what June mentioned recently, it is believed a SPECIFIC
individual ADDL ligand is of primary importance - and it is THIS
PARTICULAR ligand many reports refer to when using the label ADDL.

As folks may know, a single type of IGG antibody binds to a specific
epitope - a defined biochemcial subdomain or moeity within a
particular molecule.  It is possible for a single molecule to have
more than one moeity to which you can raise a specific IGG.
Antibodies are generally derived either as a clonal population from a
single activated B-Cell (monoclonal antibodies)**, or one can do
bleeds of an immunized animal to derive IGG regeants to a cornucopia
of epitopes (polyclonal sera). Depending on the length of the peptide
and the general chemical nature of its many biochemical subdomains, a
given peptide immunogen may give rise to polyclonal sera with a very
diverse set of IGGs.

In order to be effective at clearing a peptide, it's probably the
case a polyclonal sera binding to multiple epitopes on the culprit
peptide would be required.  If the specific peptide is known, that
peptide can be used to affinity-purify (or affinity-mature) the
polyclonal sera, even if a combination of peptides from the ADDL set
is used to raise the sera.  A patent has actually been filed on this
very procedure (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20060228349.html),
which is not surprising given what June has said regarding the
maturing understanding of the specific ligand in the ADDL set that
appears to be the most toxic.

This is some of the methodological detail we'll need to track to
SPECIFICALLY address the issue of Immunotherapy efficacy.  As to the
toxicity issue, we'd need to be able to include relevant cytokines,
growth factors, and cellular immuno entities identified in the course
of the toxicity reports.

OK - I only went into that detail to given the following follow-up to
Alan's comment.

There are instance-level entities (BioRDF), as well as Distilled
Knowledge Resource entities (BioONT).  Below I list a subset of each.

The specific MeSH entries you see below (again - just a subset of
what is in MeSH for Abeta fragments) would need to be linked in a
collection of triplets to ADDL:

	:ADDL :has_part :MeSH:67514245
	:ADDL :has_part :MeSH:67512364
	:ADDL :has_part :MeSH:67511651

	:anti-Abeta(1-42)		:binds_epitope_on	:MeSH:67514245
	:anti-Abeta(29-42)	:binds_epitope_on	:MeSH:67512364

BioRDF (We need to identify the use of all Distilled Knowledge
Sources across these repositories for BioONT to correlate):
	NUCLEOTIDE SEQUENCE:
		APP transcripts
			GI:118130287
			GI: 85861185
		Genomic cloned sequence containing APP CDS
			GI:34221844
			GI:18121459
	PROTEIN SEQUENCE
			GI:41406057
			GI:47271504
	PROTEIN STRUCTURE
			Abeta(1-42) - soluble
				PDB: 1Z0Q
			Abeta(1-42) fibrils
				PDB: 2BEG

	GENSAT
			beta-site, APP-cleaving enzyme 2 (GENSAT: 51947)

	OMIM
			APP - OMIM: 104760

	Possibly Also:
		AlzForum: Antibody Directory
			http://www.alzforum.org/res/com/ant/default.asp
		Antibody Dtb - http://www.antibodyresource.com/
			- may not be sufficiently open to be useful to us - AlzForum links
to it, so they will know
		ExactAntigen - http://bin.exactantigen.com
			- many relevant hits
		MSRS Catalog of Primary Antibodies - http://www.antibodies-probes.com/
			- several relevant hits - but requires sub

BioONT:
	MeSH:
		Abeta(1-42) (MeSH: 67514245)
		Abeta(29-42) (MeSH: 67512364)
		Abeta(10-21) (MeSH: 67511651)

	Possibly:
		the Immunology Ontology component of the ImmPort System
			- https://www.immport.org/immportWeb/display.do?content=AboutImmPort
			- they are also contributing immuno methodological entities to the
Ontology of Biomedical Investigation

Cheers,
Bill

**Many many moons ago, I took the CSH summer course co-taught by
MIT's now president, Sue Hockfield - "Raising Monoclonal Antibodies
to Neural Antigens"

On Jan 21, 2007, at 4:06 PM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> Hi June,
> The issue wasn't legal use - rather I was trying to point out that
> there aren't public databases that include ADDLs that I was aware of.
> So unlike a gene, which we could identify by a URI based on the
> Entrez Gene id, I don't know of an analogous resource to identify
> ADDLs. This is probably a job for BioONT - either identify an
> existing ontology that includes ADDLs, or generate an ontology that
> we could use. In some sense this isn't a technical issue in using
> the data for the demo, as much as demonstrating how all of it
> places in the larger semantic web.
>
> Best,
> Alan
>

> On Jan 21, 2007, at 3:52 PM, June Kinoshita wrote:
>
>> I think it would be OK to use the antibody date if we include the
>> source/credit tag as agreed upon.
>>
>> June
>>
>> On Jan 21, 2007, at 9:59 AM, Tim Clark wrote:
>>

>>> Alan,
>>>
>>> DS1 can be provided from SWAN beta which we expect to have out by
>>> then.  At minimum we would give the RDF representation from
>>> SWAN.  Right June?
>>>
>>> Tim

Bill Bug

www.neuroterrain.org