Re: Versioning vs Temporal modeling of Patient State

Vipul et al,

my experience is that issues of versioning are quite different from the
issues of temporal modeling. Often in the former case, we don't have to
concern ourselves with what changes have taken place, whereas in the latter
case, we often need to focus on the changes themselves (i.e., questions of
what changes, how, and *when* are critical).

This is an old and difficult problem with systems employing complex
representations of the world. It is often not sufficient to operate within a
mere snapshot of the world. One has to ask whether time (or the changes over
time) matter, or whether at any moment it is sufficient to consider a
snapshot.

One might draw analogies to "compile-time vs. run-time" considerations often
occurring in computer science... in fact, the question of "class changes vs.
instance changes" is exactly that.

BTW, there is a paper that points out that temporal modeling/reasoning is
re-invented/re-implemented over and over because of the lack of "built-in"
support for it in KR systems:

Thomas L. Dean and Drew McDermott. Temporal Data Base Management. Artificial
Intelligence, 32(1):1­55, 1987.

(My comments have to understood in the context that I have a lot of
experience in KR for scheduling and course-of-action planning, where the
problems are predominantly about time and state changes.)

Regards,

    - Ora

--
Ora Lassila  mailto:ora.lassila@nokia.com  http://www.lassila.org/
Research Fellow, Nokia Research Center Cambridge