Re: [public-semweb-lifesci] AD/PD use case document

Yes - exactly - Vipul is correct.

Here's one other email from the weekend that goes into a little more
detail regarding an experimental plan - if you will - toward actually
describing what sort of balance between structured, nuanced, granular
ontological seeds linked to community, shared semantic frameworks and
straight-ahead RDF translation appears to provide the most value.

Again - the other important thing to remember is if we decide taking
this approach is practical for the demo - the output of what we
produce - including some significant portion of the BioRDF data
sources relevant to the Use Cases might actually be in a form that is
immediately useful to the Open Biomedical Data repository being
accumulated by NCBO.  This may turn out to also be relevant to the
NeuroCommons repository Jonathan Rees, Alan, and others are currently
producing.

BTW - I didn't want to imply the folks working directly on the
assembling and describing the scientific context for the Use Cases
(June, Gwen, Elizabeth, et al.) shouldn't take a look at the page
cited below by Vipul.  Their input will ultimately be critical on
this task in vetting the veracity of the statements, should we decide
to commit to this approach.  I only felt it may appear a bit opaque
to those not familiar with some of the formalisms involved (some of
which most folks would admit are pretty opaque).  This needs to also
be vetted by those more deeply knowledgeable of the RDF tools &
standards we are using to determine whether this can play the role in
the demo that I'm proposing.

Should we decide to move in this direction, we also need to place
this formal content into an RDF-compliant backend of some sort.
Ideally, we'd want to use a tool that will enable us to construct
these complex entities and assertions directly in some RDF-compliant
backend.

Note the top of this page is rather old, but not irrelevant to the
point I've been trying to make.  My feeling is there may be more
payback from using the OBO phenotype syntax in this context.  Though
this page looks complex and labor intensive, the work one needs to do
constructing entities needed to build these OBO Phenotype Assertions
quickly falls off, once you've assembled a lot of the basic building
blocks.  It took quite a bit of time to construct the pieces required
to represent the phenotype assertions associated with the first
Research Statement in this list.  The next several Research Statement
assertions came together in a matter of minutes.

Cheers,
Bill

On Feb 19, 2007, at 2:55 PM, Kashyap, Vipul wrote:

> Matthias,
>
> This is exactly the approach Bill Bug has in mind, based on which
> he has created
> these PaTO assertions.
>
> http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLS/OntologyTaskForce/SeedOntology/
> SeedOntologyDetailed
> Followup#preview
>
> Do take a look and send feedback to Don whether this approach looks
> feasible to
> you.
>
> Cheers,
>
> ---Vipul
>
> =======================================
> Vipul Kashyap, Ph.D.
> Senior Medical Informatician
> Clinical Informatics R&D, Partners HealthCare System
> Phone: (781)416-9254
> Cell: (617)943-7120
> http://www.partners.org/cird/AboutUs.asp?cBox=Staff&stAb=vik
>
> To keep up you need the right answers; to get ahead you need the
> right questions
> ---John Browning and Spencer Reiss, Wired 6.04.95

Bill Bug

www.neuroterrain.org
Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy
Drexel University College of Medicine