Re: [Fwd: Re: identifier to use]

From: Eric Jain <Eric.Jain@isb-sib.ch>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 14:18:13 +0200
To: Mark Wilkinson <markw@illuminae.com>
CC: public-semweb-lifesci <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>

Mark Wilkinson wrote:
> These are things that we simply cannot answer at the moment.  We're
> lacking the "killer app" that will take the Semantic Web by storm!

Indeed! But meanwhile, there are those among us whose main motivation for
using Semantic Web technologies is not because we hope that one day they
will usher in a new age of agents and speaking coffee machines (though I
for one will welcome our new overlords, just for the record), but because
they can help solve some of the mundane problems we are facing today.

This may be short-sighted, low-hanging fruit, but then again I wonder how
much traction the original Web would have gained if the focus had been on
how to make things right for possible future applications, instead of
making it useful, period. Making predictions about the future pays off big
time when you get it right -- the catch being that usually you don't...