Re: feasibility; purl.org/commons

Eric Jain wrote:
> > http://whatizit.neurocommons.org/template_303.htm
>
> That's nice, but when I show such pages to our biologists, they still think
> it's some kind of error page, with all the gobbledygook about "commitment",
> "representation" and "URI"...

Certainly there is still a lot of room for improvement :)

> Even if this page was made super easy to
> understand, users of our site would be terribly annoyed at being sent to
> such an intermediate page instead of to the page they expect to see (they
> often need to inspect a large number of links, so I can feel with them).

Yes, with most current web-browsers (those that are not aware of the
embedded RDF), this could require users to make two clicks instead of
one. However, it might turn out that users could be willing to make this
additional click, when *significant additional value* is associated with
this intermediate page, or when it generally leads to content of high
quality.
An example are those pages that sometimes pop up when you try to read an
open access article and let you choose between Pubmed Central and Biomed
Central. I always click on Biomed Central and actually don't really need
to make that choice all the time, but somehow I have a positive
associations with these web pages. They force me to do an additional
click, but in 100% of the cases they lead to a useful, working full-text
of the article I wanted.

> Note that you can't do these pages correctly, for example in UniProtKB the
> available formats differ depending on the state of the entry

Of course such a page would list all the available formats (and ONLY the
available formats).

-- Matthias Samwald