Re: feasibility; purl.org/commons

From: Xiaoshu Wang <wangxiao@musc.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 17:42:28 +0100
To: Eric Jain <Eric.Jain@isb-sib.ch>
CC: samwald@gmx.at, jar@creativecommons.org, public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org

Eric Jain wrote:

> samwald@gmx.at wrote:
>> I would also prefer that the file extensions are preserved, but is it
>> really such a big deal? Requiring the redirect service to fetch the ID
>> from the middle of the URI definitely makes things more complicated, and
>> it is mostly a matter of taste.
>
> There are good reasons for using file extensions when serving non-HTML
> resources (prevents people from ending up with extension-less files
> after doing a save-as, a big source of confusion, based on my
> observations).
My guideline would be this.  If the RDF files describes itself, like an
ontology,  never use the extension because then you can, in the future,
to use other representation. But if the RDF file is used to describe
another resource, such as used after a 303 redirect, extension should be
O.K because now the URI is a file anyway.

Xiaoshu