RE: [Fwd: Re: identifier to use]

-----Original Message-----

Jonathan,

You probably already have this key DTC doc:  http://www.omg.org/docs/dtc/04-05-01.pdf

as well as: http://www.omg.org/docs/lifesci/03-01-06.txt (with a few use cases), http://www.omg.org/docs/lifesci/03-09-07.txt, http://www.omg.org/docs/lifesci/03-10-01.txt,  http://www.omg.org/docs/lifesci/03-11-05.txt,

Sean probably gave you this one as well: http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-lsidbp/

I'm not as knowledgeable here as well, but have seen a few services around DOI urns (see http://www.doi.org/press_release_archive.html)

> Of course, requirements are not always comparaible. A lot of the
> trouble we're having is that we're looking at terms for use in
> knowledge representation, a use case not anticipated by most
> identifier schemes.

One question I still have is how much of the basic infrastructure (global web, intranet, SOA system, etc) needs to 'know' ahead of time that something is not simply a string identifier but a URI entity, i.e., treat it as something special and unique? Similar to the historic discussion about symbols vs. strings? I've seen URIs or other identifiers referred to as 'merely strings that need interpretting'-- this need not be the case if the lower parts of an information system are meant to handle them specially.

-Eric