Re: [Fwd: Re: identifier to use]

Thanks for your comments, Eric.

On Aug 26, 2007, at 3:51 PM, Eric Neumann wrote:
> In an attempt to modulate the tone a bit, it's clear that with such
> a large and complex group of people and communities, many who had
> not been part of earlier OMG/I3C discussions are not aware of all
> the details of what had been discussed, proposed, and recommended.
> Having been a LSR-OMG chair many years ago, I know what it takes to
> put RFPs through DTC, PTC, and AB mechanisms at OMG. A lot of
> careful technical forethought and agreeing has to go in to it...
>
> At the same time, many groups in biological data and identifier
> discussions are still getting up to speed what is meant by web
> uniqueness and resolution within the W3C world. It's always easier
> to respond to messages than to review the massive amount of
> technical papers on the subject (I think simple tech/usage
> summaries are often lacking). But this seems to lead to a lot of
> earlier email discussions coming up again and again, i.e., info
> equilibration. As well as the side effect of evoking emotions when
> not intended...
I would be interested in reviewing earlier email. Can you tell me
(us) the location of relevant archives, other than those for public-
semweb-lifesci? I have searched in vain for LSID archives a few
times, and it would be interesting to read the deliberations that led
to, say, the rejection of the handle system. Also if you have a list
of technical papers to review, or a strategy for finding the right
ones, I would appreciate hearing about it. We have a few papers
listed on the wiki (including I think the ones Sean gave last summer
for LSID), but I would certainly expect that there are more that are
pertinent.
> My guess is all sides here can provide an 80-90% technical solution
> to the main set of data issues raised. That is not the main point
> of our discussions though. In going forwards we need to also think
> about learning from past attempts (successes and partial
> successes), what factors help things "catch on" more quickly and
> are easy to implement/adopt, and where do data providers and
> consumers (including the non-informatics people) want to be in 2-5
> years? I think we will be capturing most of these shortly, and I
> look forwards to lots of useable contributions.
This is a good idea. I would love to hear accounts of identifier
schemes "in the wild". I think I understand LSIDs and handles in the
abstract, but don't have a good sense of which particular aspects of
the various schemes are really used to good effect in running
applications and other artifacts.

Of course, requirements are not always comparaible. A lot of the
trouble we're having is that we're looking at terms for use in
knowledge representation, a use case not anticipated by most
identifier schemes.

Jonathan