Re: identifier to use

From: Xiaoshu Wang <wangxiao@musc.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 13:45:53 +0100
To: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk>
CC: Eric Jain <Eric.Jain@isb-sib.ch>, Hilmar Lapp <hlapp@duke.edu>, public-semweb-lifesci hcls <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>

Phillip Lord wrote:
> As I understand it, there is a fail over mechanism. If uniprot.org falls over,
> the first resolution step can be performed by an LSID server not at
> uniprot.org. I can't remember exactly how this works, as I haven't read the
> spec for ages.
>
> As far as I can see, LSIDs are basically location independent. The only whole
> I can see is if someone else buys uniprot.org, sets up an LSID resolution
> service and then returns crap. purls have the same issue I think.

If you consider "domain name" is location, then http-URI is location
dependent.  Otherwise, http-URI is location independent too. The issue
you raised is more about failover protection, which LSID is more
advantageous.   But using redundancy to do fail over protection is not a
CHEAP operation (since we are talking about cost here).  That is why the
approach is always used in mission-critical  application.  Personally, I
cannot think of any use cases are that kind of mission-critical to
warrant the effort.

Xiaoshu