Re: identifier to use

From: Hilmar Lapp <hlapp@duke.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:07:08 -0400
Cc: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk>, public-semweb-lifesci hcls <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
To: Eric Jain <Eric.Jain@isb-sib.ch>

On Aug 22, 2007, at 1:37 PM, Eric Jain wrote:

> If I have an LSID like urn:lsid:uniprot.org:uniprot:P12345 and
> uniprot.org disappears (assuming there was even a resolver running
> there in the first place), how is that URI going to be more useful
> than a simple HTTP URL

In the LSID resolver spec resolution doesn't depend on the authority
domain name.

This is (at least was) a concept similar as for DOIs. If the original
journal or publisher goes away, the DOI can be rerouted through the
central registry to a different journal, or publisher that subsumed
the original one, or to a digital archive.

	-hilmar
: Hilmar Lapp  -:-  Durham, NC  -:- hlapp at duke dot edu :