RE: Does follow-your-nose apply in the enterprise? was: RDF for molecules, using InChI

> From: Michel_Dumontier
> [ . . . ]
> In complete contrast to both of these is the case where a user
> like me, has no intent to publish any documents on the web, but
> requires a stable identifier to make statements about things.
> Sure, HTTP URIs can be used as identifiers, but why would I
> mint arbitrary HTTP URIs when I can use a scheme that has no
> resolution protocol implicitly or explicitly associated with
> it?

Indeed, in this case there would be no benefit to using HTTP URIs.  But
the situation you describe is also not a practice that we should be
recommending, because it inhibits the use of those URIs by others.  We
should be recommending practices that *encourage* people to use URIs
that can be readily used by others.  That's kind of the whole point of
working together as a community.

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not represent
the official views of HP unless explicitly stated otherwise.