Re: Does follow-your-nose apply in the enterprise? was: RDF for molecules, using InChI

From: Xiaoshu Wang <wangxiao@musc.edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 15:30:42 +0100
To: ogbujic@ccf.org
CC: public-semweb-lifesci hcls <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>

Chimezie,
> The employee wants to build an ontology and doesn't have control over
> web space.  She considers using the tag scheme instead of an HTTP scheme
> (with a bogus domain name such as
> http://example.com/clinical-medicine/surgical-procedures#minimally-invasive-procedure) because the latter scenario would result in the use of the HTTP scheme which incorrectly suggests (to "follow-you-nose Semantic Web agents" - there is growing number of such software) that they attempt to unnecessarily dereference the terms for more 'useful' information.

But this is a "pyschological" issue, not a "technical one". If the
employee didn't invoke LSID library to request the allocation of the
LSID URIs space, she is not using LSID.  Is there any difference between
a bogus LSID URI and a bogus HTTP URI?  If she doesn't intend to deploy
her ontology on the web, why is she bothered by the "follow-you-nose
Semantic Web agents"? I don't know what "follow-you-nose Semantic Web
agents" that you have in mind, but do they treat a HTTP 404 resource any
differently follow a "can-not-follow-resource"?

Xiaoshu