Paper: URI Identity Management for Semantic Web Data Integration and Linkage

From: Eric Neumann <eneumann@teranode.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 14:09:01 -0400
To: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org

A recent paper has been published that addresses some of the same URI issues we've been discussing:

"URI Identity Management for Semantic Web Data Integration and Linkage"
http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/14361/

They focus on Coreference aka Record Linkages, which deals with the problem of having more than one URI for the "same thing". There's a probabilistic theory behind it, but it offers an approach different from using "owl:sameAs' between possible similar things.

My take-- coming from a life sciences perspective-- is that we still need to standardize URI's to specific datarecords (e.g., uniprot, entrez, ensemble, etc) as well as concepts, but when we need to "cross-bundle" different records that are supposedly referring to the same bio-entity (uniprot/p12345 ~ entrez/g6422 ~ ensmeble/s47721), then this approach may be worth considering.

I leave it to the group to discuss the possible value of this paper to our ongoing URI activity...

Eric