Paper: URI Identity Management for Semantic Web Data Integration and Linkage

From: Eric Neumann <eneumann@teranode.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 14:09:01 -0400
To: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org

A recent paper has been published that addresses some of the same URI issues we've been discussing:

"URI Identity Management for Semantic Web Data Integration and Linkage"

They focus on Coreference aka Record Linkages, which deals with the problem of having more than one URI for the "same thing". There's a probabilistic theory behind it, but it offers an approach different from using "owl:sameAs' between possible similar things.

My take-- coming from a life sciences perspective-- is that we still need to standardize URI's to specific datarecords (e.g., uniprot, entrez, ensemble, etc) as well as concepts, but when we need to "cross-bundle" different records that are supposedly referring to the same bio-entity (uniprot/p12345 ~ entrez/g6422 ~ ensmeble/s47721), then this approach may be worth considering.

I leave it to the group to discuss the possible value of this paper to our ongoing URI activity...