RE: adding pubmed ids to BAMS

From: Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) <dbooth@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 15:12:39 -0400
To: "Alan Ruttenberg" <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>, "Kei Cheung" <kei.cheung@yale.edu>
Cc: "Huajun Chen @ Zhejiang University" <huajunsir@gmail.com>, "Jonathan Rees" <jar@mumble.net>, "chris mungall" <cjm@fruitfly.org>, "public-semweb-lifesci hcls" <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>, "Suzanna Lewis" <suzi@berkeleybop.org>, "Judith Blake" <jblake@informatics.jax.org>, "Barry Smith" <phismith@buffalo.edu>, "John Barkley" <jbarkley@nist.gov>

> From: Alan Ruttenberg
> . . .
> 2) I think that URIs should function first as unique identifiers, and
> only if possible, as elements of user interface. . . . .

I basically agree with this, but I think it is possible to strike
balance, since humans *do* still need to look at these URIs sometimes
(for debugging for example).  If a URI contains at least a small human
readable hint of its intent, that can be very helpful.  Of course, any
human readable part should be chosen carefully so as to age well.

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software