RE: CAP use case - Reasoning on Weighted Condition and Fuzzy Reasoning?

Hi, Vipul

Strongly agreed with two points you made here.

The problem, however, is first on the modelling side of such "weighted
conditions".  In the example,

> 3: "Obtain chest X-ray, especially if patient has two or more of these
> signs:
>   Temp > 100F
>   Pulse > 100
>   Decreased breath sounds
>   Rales
>   Respiratory rate > 20

these 5 signs are all indicative to a diagnosis of pneumonia, but carry
different weights in decision making.  The weight you assign to a symptom
here is local to the context (suspected pneumonia).  When multiple
guidelines are taking into consideration to form a pathway for a patient,
these weights will likely to change, isn't it?  How your KB handle it?

Kind regards.

Helen

"Kashyap, Vipul" <VKASHYAP1@PARTNERS.ORG>
Sent by: public-semweb-lifesci-request@w3.org
09/26/2006 05:42 PM

Helen Chen/AMPJB/AGFA@AGFA, <ogbujic@bio.ri.ccf.org>
cc
<public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
Subject
RE: CAP use case - Reasoning on Weighted Condition and Fuzzy Reasoning?

This is a very good use case which can easily be done using the
statistical/linear programming approach
where you create equations out of various decision variables  The two
downsides of this approach are as follows:

1.      Lack of explanation capabilities: A key feature for clinical
decision support is that physicians like to get
explanations for the recommendations proposed by the system.
2.      Lack of ?knowledge visibility?: The biggest downside is from the
KM perspective, what if one of the conditions changes? We need this to be
visible so that we can have KM processes handle these changes.

As far s handling fuzzy situations using rule bases, a ?hackers solution?
would be to have specialized global variables keeping
track of the number of conditions matched, etc  Of course some variant of
this has been implemented in the MYCIN type of
expert systems?. one needs to tread carefully:

BTW, current rule engines support rule priorities and one could model the
most specific rule as having higher priority than others, for instance

IF A1 and B1 Then C1 will have a higher priority then
IF A1 Then C2 or
IF B1 Then C3?.

Of course these requirements need to make it into SW standards ?

Vipul Kashyap, Ph.D.
Senior Medical Informatician
Clinical Informatics R&D, Partners HealthCare System
Phone: (781)416-9254
Cell: (617)943-7120
http://www.partners.org/cird/AboutUs.asp?cBox=Staff&stAb=vik

To keep up you need the right answers; to get ahead you need the right
questions
---John Browning and Spencer Reiss, Wired 6.04.95