Re: [BIONT] Latest Version of Parkinson's Disease Ontology (Molecular and Cellular Viewpoint)

Hi All,

Many thanks for providing you opinion on this important issue, Matthias.

I would agree with Matthias on several points below and disagree on
others.  I would also add I'm am not the expert to debate this
issue.  The debate should be presented by those who've both curated/
developed these ontologies, as well as those who have experience
using them to formally annotate instances of biomedical entities/
relations - formal representations that can be computed on
effectively.  This would likely include many who've posted to this
list - including Matthias - as well as Alan Rector, Robert Stevens,
Alan Ruttenberg, etc..  We'd certainly also want to hear both about
the extensive work Barry Smith and his many colleagues have done on
and with BFO, as well as the extensive work Nicola Guarino et al.
have done on and with DOLCE.

I would also add - as I mentioned in the call - there is a project
out of INRIA en France that makes use of DOLCE to manage a
neuroimaging repository and associated tools (actually contains
physiological data as well such as EEG & EMG).  That is NeuroBase:
	http://www.inria.fr/valorisation/rencontres/sante/transparents/
gibaud.pdf#search=%22neurobase%20dolce%22

There has also been extensive discussion on the issue of Upper Level
ontologies at the Ontolog ontology community web site/Wiki:
	http://ontolog.cim3.net/

in particular see the Upper Ontology Summit held last Spring:
	http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit

The OntoClean tool Alan R. mentioned was developed by Nicola Guarino,
Chris Welty (http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ChrisWelty), and
their colleagues.  As Alan Ruttenberg mentioned, it is very work
reading the links on the following page, especially the application
using specially descigned OWL classes to apply this methodology when
using Protege-OWL:
	http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntoClean

One point I would stress here - though there are other candidates in
this realm, most notably Cyc (http://www.cyc.com/cycdoc/upperont-
diagram.html) and SUMO (http://ontology.teknowledge.com/) - it is BFO/
OBO-UBO and DOLCE (especially the application made of DOLCE
components by Alan Rector, Robert Stevens, and Jeremy Rogers in their
Simple Bio Upper Ontology) that are by far the front runner
candidates for use in broad-scoped, field-wide semantically-aware
biomedical data integration.  The Cyc has been used very effectively
by Peter Karp and his colleagues at SRI, but I don't know whether the
foundational levels in Cyc really work for these large-scoped
projects as well as these two other candidates (though I'm not the
expert to debate this issue).

In the end, as Matthias states, we are all - hopefully - describing
the same biomedical reality, so one would hope to see all of these
efforts converge.  In practice, there will be many axioms and
assertions across these foundational ontologies that simply will not
be easily commensurable algorithmically (in some cases - not
commensurable at all).  The same will be true for anything one
constructs on top of them.

Please see below for additional comments.

Cheers,
Bill

On Sep 19, 2006, at 4:07 PM, Matthias Samwald wrote:

> On the topic of foundational ontologies that are useful for the
> biomedical domain, I feel urged to refer to the DOLCE foundational
> ontology:
>
> http://www.loa-cnr.it/DOLCE.html
>
> DOLCE lite is available as a modularized OWL ontology. The OWL
> version of DOLCE is already quite established and stable.
true

> The BFO SNAP/SPAN ontology and the relations ontology are almost
> totally redundant with the basic modules of DOLCE.
not true - at least not to my understanding of the relevant issues.
As I mentioned in the call, there a basic assumptions about the what
is being captured that are not commensurable either philosophically
or mathematically from a "first principles" point-of-view.  As far as
the algorithmic ontology integration, I expect a great deal of code
will need to be written to make both "worlds" commensurable - code
that will be eminently brittle and error prone.  I'd be glad to be
proven wrong on this front by someone who's taken large biomedical
data sets crossing many domains of knowledge (different modalities,
levels of spatial resolution, and time resolution) and created a
formal semantic representation for the content using one - then the
other - foundational ontology, then been able to effectively
integrate across them algorithmically.

> The only innovations of BFO might be the two "transformed" and
> "derives-from" properties, but these can also be added to DOLCE.
> BFO also does not seem to offer any remedies to the shortcomings
> that DOLCE is suffering from (especially the problems one runs into
> when trying to express temporal indexing over properties like part-
> of).
not true - at least by my reading of the two, though I've only got a
thorough working knowledge of BFO/OBR/OBO-UBO.  There are fundamental
differences in how the real world entities and relations are being
formally encoded that are just not the same.  Please don't take my
word for it, though.  Read:
"BFO in a Nutshell: A Bi-categorial Axiomatization of BFO and
Comparison with DOLCE" (http://www.ifomis.uni-saarland.de/Research/
IFOMISReports/IFOMIS%20Report%2006_2003.pdf)

Hopefully, we can find a similar comparison performed by the DOLCE
and/or GALEN folks.

> As DOLCE is more extensive and has been very stable for some time,
> while the OWL version of BFO is still under creation, I don't think
> that there are any arguments for choosing BFO over DOLCE, at least
> at the time.
The VERY STRONG argument for using BFO/OBR/OBO-UBO is this will be
the foundational ontology supported by the OBO Foundry.  NCBO is
explicitly committed not to taking sides on this issue, and I think
that is wholly appropriate, given the various extremely important
tasks they are charged with.  The OBO Foundry group (Michael
Ashburner, Suzi Lewis, Chris Mungall, Barry Smith, and others) - and
the principles they are recommending MUST take sides on this issue -
or to put it more accurately - must be able to host all OBO Foundry
ontologies on top of a foundational layer this is algorithmically
sound and supports a single view of biomedical reality.  My hope
would be this will ultimately accommodate all requirements including
those DOLCE is particularly well suited to (e.g., decision support
applications, etc.), but for now the foundation is BFO.

> Fortunately, the redundandy between both ontologies should make it
> easy to align them and settle this 'conflict' peacefully.
Please see comments above.

> kind regards,
> Matthias Samwald

Bill Bug

www.neuroterrain.org
Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy
Drexel University College of Medicine
2900 Queen Lane
Philadelphia, PA    19129
215 991 8430 (ph)
610 457 0443 (mobile)
215 843 9367 (fax)

This email and any accompanying attachments are confidential.
This information is intended solely for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed. Any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution, or use of this email communication by others is strictly
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please notify us
immediately by returning this message to the sender and delete
all copies. Thank you for your cooperation.