RE: A question on the vocabulary for 'persons' - ACL level of granularity?

Hi Xiaoshu,

Getting back to an earlier point in this discussion...

> Well, how can a computer knows my intension about the parts
> that I don't
> "use/disagree"?  But, I think, if I disagree one portion of
> the ontology, I
> certainly would not use the other part of the ontology at all
> since if I
> make one contradicting statement, it will invalidate the entire model.

Consider an effort that creates an ontology to wrap the English language
(or any other language) so that it could be reasoned over.  This seems a
noble objective.

Now if it truly captured the 'essence' of the language, which many
people only understand overlapping parts of, others, perhaps those in a
particular scientific domain, have a specialized knowledge of a part of
the language that others don't, different reasoners ought to be able to
be created that can duplicate this ability of humans to (mostly)
communicate together at different levels of understanding.

If we can't, I believe this points out a current weakness in how we
express ontologies and write reasoners.  It's obviously possible to do,
we do it as people all the time.

cheers,
Michael