Re: A question on the vocabulary for 'persons'

Hi All,

I agree with the points Helen & Chimezie are making here.  HL7 RIM
cannot be used "as is" as a well-founded ontology.

However, as we are finding with many such knowledge sources that
aren't quite appropriate for use as ontologies themselves, I think
RIM's focus on roles provides an excellent starting for defining the
types of people/actors one needs to formally represent - and the
various roles they may play.  If analyzed carefully, many of the HL7
RIM roles could - for instance - end up defined as relations in RDF
with a defined domain/range - and used as the basis of constructing
necessary (possible necessary & sufficient) "person/actor"
restrictions in OWL.

I'm not an expert in the use of HL7, but that's my take on how best
to derive value from it, when seeking to construct an effective,
formally-sound ontology for describing people and the roles they play
in a healthcare setting.

I believe FOAF representations of "people" - especially when used
with Wordnet synsets, as well as the openEHR - person demographic
definition that Helen cites - can also provide a great deal of
insight on the sort of properties a "person" ontology might be called
on to represent.

I would also recommend the paper Chimezie cites as an useful critique
on some of the pitfalls such model-based representations have when
one seeks to use them as the basis for a reasoning application, such
as a decision support system.

Cheers,
Bill

On Sep 13, 2006, at 8:30 PM, helen.chen@agfa.com wrote:

> Hi, Chimezie
>
> Although it is questionable whether HL7 RIM can be converted to a
> "good" healthcare domain ontology, in this discussion of a "person"
> description (ontology), I agree with Dirk on looking at RIM's
> description of Person and its attributes for healthcare domain.
> You will find some overlapping with vCard-rdf, and additional
> attributes which are meaningful in healthcare, such as raceCode,
> ethnicGroupCode, maritalStatus, etc.
>
> For "person" in healthcare domain, we can also look at openEHR's
> archtype "person"  [1].  But I think HL7's description of "person"
> has fully content.
>

> [1] openEHR Archtype "person" http://svn.openehr.org/knowledge/
> archetypes/dev/adl/openehr/demographic/openehr-demographic-
> person.person.draft.html
>
> Helen
> http://www.agfa.com/w3c/hchen
>

> Chimezie Ogbuji <ogbujic@bio.ri.ccf.org>
> Sent by: public-semweb-lifesci-request@w3.org
> 09/13/2006 10:03 AM

> Dirk Colaert/AMIPU/AGFA@AGFA
> cc
> systemsbiology <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
> Subject
> Re: A question on the vocabulary for 'persons'
>

> There are ontological inconsistencies [1] with HL7 RIM that warrant a
> closer look.  Though, admittedly, the criticism is more about HL7's
> Actions than its Roles.
>
> [1] http://ontology.buffalo.edu/HL7/doublestandards.pdf
>
> Chimezie Ogbuji
> Lead Systems Analyst
> Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
> Cleveland Clinic Foundation
> 9500 Euclid Avenue/ W26
> Cleveland, Ohio 44195
> Office: (216)444-8593
> ogbujic@ccf.org
>
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 dirk.colaert@agfa.com wrote:
>
> > I am just popping into this thread. Why don't we look at RIM (HL7
> > Reference Information Model)?
> > They distinguish 'entities' (a person is an entity) and roles:
> 'patient',
> > 'doctor', etc are examples of roles. That gives you an easy way
> of using a
> > standard description of a person, common to other communities,
> reusing
> > what exists, and still you can add properties to the rol
> 'patient' to have
> > whatever you need, specific in Health Care and Life Sciences.
> >
> > you can download the RIM model at
> > http://www.hl7.org/library/data-model/RIM/modelpage_mem.htm
> >
> > ______________________________________
> > Dr. Dirk Colaert MD
> > Advanced Clinical Application Research Manager
> > Agfa Healthcare               mobile: +32 497 470 871
> >

> > Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
> > Sent by: public-semweb-lifesci-request@w3.org
> > 13/09/2006 06:47

> > Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
> > cc
> > systemsbiology <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
> > Subject
> > Re: A question on the vocabulary for 'persons'

> [...]

Bill Bug

www.neuroterrain.org
Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy
Drexel University College of Medicine
2900 Queen Lane
Philadelphia, PA    19129
215 991 8430 (ph)
610 457 0443 (mobile)
215 843 9367 (fax)

This email and any accompanying attachments are confidential.
This information is intended solely for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed. Any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution, or use of this email communication by others is strictly
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please notify us
immediately by returning this message to the sender and delete
all copies. Thank you for your cooperation.