Re: A question on the vocabulary for 'persons'

Hi, Chimezie

Although it is questionable whether HL7 RIM can be converted to a "good"
healthcare domain ontology, in this discussion of a "person" description
(ontology), I agree with Dirk on looking at RIM's description of Person
and its attributes for healthcare domain.  You will find some overlapping
with vCard-rdf, and additional attributes which are meaningful in
healthcare, such as raceCode, ethnicGroupCode, maritalStatus, etc.

For "person" in healthcare domain, we can also look at openEHR's archtype
"person"  [1].  But I think HL7's description of "person" has fully
content.

[1] openEHR Archtype "person"
http://svn.openehr.org/knowledge/archetypes/dev/adl/openehr/demographic/openehr-demographic-person.person.draft.html

Helen
http://www.agfa.com/w3c/hchen

Chimezie Ogbuji <ogbujic@bio.ri.ccf.org>
Sent by: public-semweb-lifesci-request@w3.org
09/13/2006 10:03 AM

Dirk Colaert/AMIPU/AGFA@AGFA
cc
systemsbiology <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
Subject
Re: A question on the vocabulary for 'persons'

There are ontological inconsistencies [1] with HL7 RIM that warrant a
closer look.  Though, admittedly, the criticism is more about HL7's
Actions than its Roles.

[1] http://ontology.buffalo.edu/HL7/doublestandards.pdf

Chimezie Ogbuji
Lead Systems Analyst
Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
Cleveland Clinic Foundation
9500 Euclid Avenue/ W26
Cleveland, Ohio 44195
Office: (216)444-8593
ogbujic@ccf.org

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 dirk.colaert@agfa.com wrote:

> I am just popping into this thread. Why don't we look at RIM (HL7
> Reference Information Model)?
> They distinguish 'entities' (a person is an entity) and roles:
'patient',