Re: OWL vs RDF

Thanks for the info, Robert.

No problemo - we're all working with between 10 - 25% of the
resources we really need to get to all the various tasks that need to
be done in a timely manner.

I just keep mentioning this issue as a "gentle" prod, because I found
the ProtegeOWL tutorial immensely helpful when I read quite a while
back and think it should probably be REQUIRED reading for everyone
both using ProtegeOWL and expecting to have at least a general
understanding of how to make best use OWL's expressivity.

Having the OWL v1.1 & Data Property issues taken into account in that
tutorial would be extremely useful.

Cheers,
Bill

On Oct 27, 2006, at 12:03 PM, Robert Stevens wrote:

> the Protege OWL tutorial will be updated "real soon now". We'll be
> doing OWL 1..1 (there wasn't any point updating before 1.1), but
> also including stuff about data type properties (which can now be
> reasoned over well) and some stuff about instances. finally,
> there's a whole lot of  Protege stuff to change....
>
> I wouldn't, however, hold your breath. Perhaps it will be ready
> early next year.
>
> robert.At 18:45 27/10/2006, William Bug wrote:
>> This is a very important point.  Thanks, Phil.
>>
>> As is spelled out in the wonderful ProtegeOWL Tutorial PDF (which
>> would be wonderful to have updated a bit), leaning on the reasoner
>> during early phases of ontology construction is very helpful, but
>> ultimately once you have more "hardened" components, you can
>> "save" the inferred graph and distribute that for the user community.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bill

>>>   Robert> There's another answer of using the reasoner by building
>>>   Robert> your ontology to take advantage of its capabilities. the
>>>   Robert> conceptual lego approach relies on the reasoner.
>>>

>>> Incidentally, Robert's point reminded me of another thing you can do
>>> without a reasoner.
>>>
>>> You can use your reasoner to build your ontology, and then deploy it
>>> without. One of the main reasons that people don't like DL
>>> reasoners s
>>> the overhead that they add to architectures. I think that this is a
>>> reasonable point but, in general, only at deployment time. When
>>> building your ontology, it's not that much hassle to have a
>>> reasoner -- my experience suggests it saves your more time than it
>>> costs you.
>>>
>>> Phil
>>
>> Bill Bug
>> Senior Research Analyst/Ontological Engineer
>>
>> Laboratory for Bioimaging  & Anatomical Informatics
>> www.neuroterrain.org
>> Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy
>> Drexel University College of Medicine
>> 2900 Queen Lane