W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org > October 2006

Rules over complex examples (Was: OWL vs RDF)

From: Adrian Walker <adriandwalker@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 09:33:15 -0400
Message-ID: <1e89d6a40610240633u50019beah584b7b01fb2a7f5e@mail.gmail.com>
To: "Ivan Herman" <ivan@w3.org>
Cc: Kerstin.L.Forsberg@astrazeneca.com, public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org
Hi Ivan --

You wrote...

  if a rule system was around, it may do the trick in simple cases

which prompts two thoughts please....

1.  There is a rule system online that  does the trick in several simple
examples [1,2]

2.   Do you have please a pointer to complex examples in which you think the
approach via exactly those kinds of rules  [3] would not work?

It would be really useful to see such examples, and maybe of interest for
RIF and the semantic community in general.

           Thanks!  -- Adrian

[1]  www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/OwlResearchOnt.agent

[2]  www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/RDFQueryLangComparison1.agent

[3]
www.reengineeringllc.com/A_Wiki_for_Business_Rules_in_Open_Vocabulary_Executable_English.pdf

Internet Business Logic (R)
Executable open vocabulary English
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com
Shared use is free

Adrian Walker
Reengineering
Phone: USA 860 830 2085


On 10/24/06, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:
>
> HI Adrian & all,
>
> yes, I can see your point and indeed, if a rule system was around, it
> may do the trick in simple cases. Another (non-exclusive) approach is
> what I briefly mentioned at the F2F: is the development of a kind of an
> intermediate layer between RDFS and OWL; a layer that would allow some
> extra information to be added to the knowledge base without forcing the
> usage of a DL reasoner. There are several approaches for this, and we (I
> mean, W3C) may want to look into this more closely next year...
>
> Ivan
>
> Adrian Walker wrote:
> > Hi Ivan, Kerstin & All --
> >
> > A quick thought about "you are a perfectly decent Semantic Web citizen
> > even if you do not use OWL".
> >
> > We have found that, even in rather simple cases, it's quite hard for a
> > programmer to check that inferences over RDF are producing correct
> results.
> >
> > An approach that we have found useful is to reason over RDF using rules
> > in executable, open vocabulary English.
> >
> > With this extra English semantics attached, we can have the system
> > explain, in English, at the business or scientific level, how it derived
> > a result.
> >
> > There's  a simple example at
> >
> >
> >
> https://www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/RDFQueryLangComparison1.agent
> >
> > You can view, edit, and run the example (and others) by pointing a
> > browser to reengineeringllc.com <http://reengineeringllc.com> and
> > selecting the example RDFQueryLangComparison1 .
> >
> > HTH,  -- Adrian
> >
> >
> > Internet Business Logic (R)
> > Executable open vocabulary English
> > Online at www.reengineeringllc.com <http://www.reengineeringllc.com>
> > Shared use is free
> >
> > Adrian Walker
> > Reengineering
> > Phone: USA 860 830 2085
> >
> >
>
> --
>
> Ivan Herman, W3C Semantic Web Activity Lead
> URL: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
> PGP Key: http://www.cwi.nl/%7Eivan/AboutMe/pgpkey.html
> FOAF: http://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf.rdf
>
>
>
Received on Tuesday, 24 October 2006 13:33:54 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 26 March 2013 18:00:45 GMT