Re: [rdf] Re: Task proposal: Distributed self-publishing of experiments

From: Mark Wilkinson <markw@illuminae.com>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 12:19:59 -0700
To: larry.hunter@uchsc.edu
Cc: Eric Neumann <eneumann@teranode.com>, w3c semweb hcls <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>

Indeed - my notes say that it was Mark Musen who was advocating to "let
1000 flowers bloom" :-) while Larry was taking the more conservative

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 13:14 -0600, Larry Hunter wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 14:53 -0400, Eric Neumann wrote:
> > I seem to remember at an Ontology panel at ISMB last year in Detroit
> > you were advocating the Anarchists approach to ontologies.... ; )
> You misremember!  I started off by saying how this was going to be the
> first time in my entire life that I was going to take the conservative
> side of anything.
> Actually, I advocated a democratic process with a central body to ensure
> fairness and good communication, which is pretty much what we ended up
> getting with the NCBC.  Not that I had anything to do with that specific
> outcome, but I do think it is a very important one to support.
> Larry

Mark Wilkinson
Asst. Professor, Dept. of Medical Genetics
University of British Columbia
PI in Bioinformatics, iCAPTURE Centre
St. Paul's Hospital, Rm. 166, 1081 Burrard St.
Vancouver, BC, V6Z 1Y6
tel: 604 682 2344 x62129
fax: 604 806 9274

"For most of this century we have viewed communications as a conduit,
       a pipe between physical locations on the planet.
What's happened now is that the conduit has become so big and interesting
      that communication has become more than a conduit,
       it has become a destination in its own right..."

                Paul Saffo - Director, Institute for the Future