RE: proposal for standard NCBI database URI

From: Xiaoshu Wang <wangxiao@musc.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 08:59:57 -0400
To: <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>

> As far as I know there is no standard URI for a resource at
> NCBI. I would like to propose that there be one, since we
> will all need them to use when we refer to these resources
> in our RDF. (and I need one
> *now*)

It is useless for us to propose without NCBI's participation.  The problem
is not what URI looks like, any URI is fine because you shouldn't infer
anything from the URI itself.  The problem is what will be returned when the
URI is dereferenced.

To propose a standard URI for a domain that we don't own is like proposing
Iran to drop their nuclear program.  It is wishful thinking.