Re: [BioRDF] Telcon Minutes

On Mar 14, 2006, at 1:13 PM, John Madden wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Ontology WG just discovered RRSagent and action tracking. We'd like
> to use
> it to keep our minutes.

"RRSAgent is a helpful bot for recording an IRC session."
  - http://www.w3.org/2002/03/RRSAgent

and will be your friend :)  That said, you don't need it in advance
per se to assign actions. But establishing an 'ACTION' sort of policy
in advance (regardless of tools to help manage this) will help others
keep track of progress, and more important help folks connect to
existing work.

> (1) Could you clarify about setting access rights to minutes in
> RRSAgent? At
> the end of our session I used the "rrsagent, set logs public"
> command, then
> I thought better of it and changed it to "rrsagent, set logs
> members-only".
> What access level is usual for WG's? And if I set it during my IRC
> session,
> does the same setting carry over to the next meeting? (I wouldn't
> want to
> inadvertantly change levels for subsequent users without their
> consent.)

You're initial reaction was correct; all meeting records should be
set public per the working group's position.

"Communications of the HCLSIG will be public. This includes a public
home page that records the history of the group and provides access
to public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org mailing list, ( discussion archives),
meeting minutes, updated schedule of deliverables, membership list,
and relevant documents and resources."
-- http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/hcls/#membership

> (2) Peripherally related, our WG has been working on expanding and
> improving
> our Wiki pages. (We're now homepaged at
> http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLSIG_Ontology_Working_Group).

Thanks for the pointer. Without reading too much semantics into the
URI, I'd like to suggest this group not use the phrase 'working
group'. W3C has a formal process [1] around this name and its bound
to get confusing.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/groups.html#GroupsWG

I propose something along the lines...

---
HCLS Ontology Task Force

The goal of the HCLS Ontology task force is focus on addressing a set
of tasks that are designed to facilitate the creation, evaluation and
maintenance of "core vocabularies and ontologies to support cross-
community data integration and collaborative efforts.” 1

This task force will focus on the the general theme of best practices
as defined by the Semantic Web Best Practice Working Group, Semantic
Web Interest group but grounded in the context of well defined use
cases that are of interest to the HCLSIG community.
---

> Some of our users are still a little put off by wiki editing.

Me included apparently, as I should have edited the wiki directly. :)

> To help with
> functionality and friendliness I'd like to incorporate some Macros
> from the
> moinmoin MacroMarket into our pages.

Can you elaborate on the problem? I suspect others might be facing
this as well which is why I ask.

> But according to the instructions (at
> http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/
> MacroMarket#head-059949de7aa07bd7019a5b390416
> 34e5139e50d2), the macro files need to go into in one of the
> designated
> directories for macros on the wiki server. I don't seem to have
> access to
> those directories by http or ftp. Can I ask the administrator to
> include
> some macros in there, and if so whom do I contact?

Not sure yet. Which macro's are you thinking of specifically?

semantic web activity lead               http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/
w3c world wide web consortium            http://www.w3.org/