RE: URI thoughts

Xiaoshu ,

Hmmm... I see a possible reason why SW is often hard to understand from
a data provider point of view....

Authority is the organization that has published annotated data, such
as NCBI or SwissProt. For the foreseeable future, they will be
responsible for curating and managing some subset of the RDF graph for
data records. Dereferencing in my opinion, should alsways defer to the
authority site responsible for the base data.

If you or someone adds a new property to their base graph, the basic
RDF model will allow merging, but that will not prevent
inconsistencies( or "opinions") from being added. We will eventually
have to address these issues of provenance, and there are several
possible ways forwards here. But by dereferencing a Entrez Gene data
record, I should get back only that part of the graph that NCBI Entrez
is responsible for. Outside references and annotations could be
discovered/aggregated by specific services, such as a DAS-like
(distributed annotation server) model.

I don't believe authority responsibility can ever be disregarded for
data record URIs...

To Chimezie's point, I also do not think all URI's need to be
dereferensible, but certainly data record URI's should always be
dereferensible.

In addition, the practice of using  rdfs:isDefinedBy to link data
records to accepted concept bio/chem entities will work as long as
rdfs:isDefinedBy does not get used in other ways that would obscure the
special usage being proposed here. We would need to agree on the
intended practice and meaning throughout the community so that
predicates do what others would expect them to do:  "data records of
entities like 'genes' always refer to unique concepts of bio/chem
entities, even if polymorphisms exist"

Eric

--- Xiaoshu Wang <wangxiao@musc.edu> wrote:

 > > 1) Dereferencing: The dereferencing of a URI to a
 > data record
 > > results in the return of all the "authority
 > managed"
 > > information about it (locally curated data) in the
 > form of a
 > > RDF graph. Outside annotations would not be
 > included unless
 > > the authority provided an open annotative service.
 > This is
 > > what you get back when you query sources such as
 > NCBI or EBI.
 >
 > I am not sure what the "authority" here means.  RDF
 > itself is monotonic and
 > open.  Hence, anyone can say anything about
 > anything.  In the eyes of RDF,
 > there is only the problem of model consistency and
 > an RDF engine can not
 > consider one assertion is "more" correct than
 > others.
 >
 > > 2) Versioning: A few useful pieces of metadata for
 > changeable
 > > (mutable) URI-referenced RDF graphs (dereferenced)
 > is what
 > > version is current, when it was assigned or
 > created (date and
 > > time, UTC), and a reference to the sorted list of
 > all earlier
 > > versions. This would allow precise rolling back to
 > any
 > > version for performing a re-analysis of info from
 > an earlier time.
 >
 > I think Dublin Core's relation element and
 > associated element refinement
 > like dc:replaces and dc:isReplacedBy etc., would
 > handle this adequately.
 >
 > > 3) Signifiers: Life science data records of bio or
 > chem
 > > entities (genes, snps, protein, chemicals, agents,
 > diseases,
 > > pathways, anatomical parts) should always
 > reference a
 > > community agreed upon conceptualized
 > bio/chem-entity, i.e.,
 > > to what the scientist in his or her mind commonly
 > and
 > > collectively regard when hearing "human GSK3
 > beta". These
 > > could have ontologies layered on them when they
 > become
 > > available. These entities represent the
 > 'signifiers or signs'
 > > for the 'signified or real-world objects' such as
 > "Hu GSK3b"
 > > or " Mus MAP12"
 > > (for the curious, see
 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_(semiotics),
 > > btw the full RDF graph around an entity would be
 > equivalent
 > > to Peirce's 'interpretant'). They would exist as
 > non-data
 > > objects, more like scientific placeholders, but
 > can use
 > > rdfs:seeAlso to point to real data records of
 > them. Data
 > > records by themselves WOULD NOT be of this special
 >
 > > meta-class. If this sounds fuzzy to you, consider
 > what it
 > > took to align most of the gene synonym names to
> [...]

Eric Neumann, PhD
co-chair, W3C Healthcare and Life Sciences,
and Senior Director Product Strategy
Teranode Corporation
83 South King Street, Suite 800
Seattle, WA 98104