Re: scientific publishing task force update

Dear John,

I do hope your kidney stones "pass" with as little pain as possible.
Ouch!  :-(

The general nature of your comment - echoed by others on this thread
- that our description of biological reality is an evolving target is
of course true.  There'd be little point - or attraction - for most
of us in pursuing a career in biomedical research were this not the
case.

This is one of the biggest challenges in biomedical KR - to devise
deterministic, computable semantic frameworks capable of - or better
yet, that thrive on - the evolving nature of human knowledge.  I do
think SW tech brings some unique advantages to the table, where this
particular issue is concerned.

Having said that, unless one is a devout Kantian willing to run smack
into brick walls to prove a point, there are certain real world
entities being described in biomedical ontologies, and the specifics
of those entities - from the sulci and gyri of mammalian brains down
to the atomic constituents of opsin isoforms - do have very real -
and classifiable properties.  The shared, universal features of these
real-world entities - the objects and processes (or endurants/
perdurants or occurants/continuants - depending on the formalism you
prefer) - are what is specified in the foundational ontologies, and
these don't tend to change very often.

Unfortunately, as wonderfully demonstrated in the very important
citations added to this thread (the original Soldatova & King Nature
Biotech. editorial from September 2005 and the series of responses
from the Jan 2006 issue of that same journal), there is considerable
disagreement on whose view of foundational universals one would best
be served by.  There at a minimum, three distinct camps - the formal
philosophical ontologists, the AI/Robotics/KR C.S. folks, and the
computational linguistics folks - the latter of which generally favor
no ontology at all, but rather using empiracly derived statistical
clustering & categorization.  From my point of view, these three
approaches can, should (and even occasionally have) work together.

My fear is the SW community may end up creating its own thread of
activity in this domain - one more URI dependent and less lexicon
dependent than computational linguistics, and one eschewing top-down
ontological frameworks for a totally empirical, bottom up approach.
I've heard this view espoused in some arenas, which is what raised
the concern for me.  I know the majority of the SW community come
from a very formal C.S. foundation, and are clearly aware of the
various approaches to KR, so I was a bit taken aback to hear this
view expressed.

To my mind, the folks participating at this level - working out
standards and SOPs/"best practices" should be striving to bring these
disparate, yet completely compatible forms of KR together - a view I
believe one does see emerging to some extent - and can be culled from
reading the collection of citations from Nature Biotech. listed
above.  Establishing an at least compatible collection of
foundational ontologies - and fundamental relations - is one of the
tasks that must be addressed, I believe.

I do think the constellation of researchers focussed on biomedical KR
are moving into a qualitatively new epoch - one where top-down and
bottom-up KR techniques can and will be more compatible - and can be
realized in a synergistic combination that neither approach can
achieve on its own.  From my experience over the last decade - and
more recently on the BIRN project - it is clear there is a meeting of
the minds emerging across the divide of more empirically-oriented,
bench top biologists who moved into KR in the mid 1990s (epitomized
by the GO Consortium participants), the more formal medical
informaticsts, and the most formal philosophical ontologists who've
focused on biomedical KR.

In particular, the emerging focus on primary data KR and provenance
is going to truly transform what can be computed on large, federated
collections of biomedical data.  In the context of the BIRN project,
we've been moving toward an understanding that the scientific process
in biology consists of providing descriptions of phenotype, a process
one can formalize by providing structure, deterministic descriptions
of scientific observations.  The combined formalism emerging from the
OBO community - use of PATO (phenotypic traits & attributes) and FuGO
(formal descriptions of assays, reagents, devices, and environment)
to create formal, normalized (as opposed to pre-coordinated)
descriptions of primary research data forms the "best practice" for
moving forward with primary data KR capable of ultimately supporting
complex, knowledge mining.

Again, SW Tech can be a critical valuable tool - given the unique
benefits it brings with it - toward achieving this goal.

Cheers,
Bill

On Jun 13, 2006, at 2:01 PM, John Rumble wrote:

> An unwritten rule about higher level ontologies is that they
> reflect our knowledge today, not tomorrow. As knowledge evolves,
> the upper level ontologies, especially, must also evolve. The
> example of the concept "protein" is very apropos here. We can view
> it from  functional, structural, integrative angles, and I am sure
> there are a bunch more. Then think about how our "concept" of a
> protein in each of those views has evolved over the last 10 years,
> 20 years, 75 years. The problem is evident.
>
> At whatever level an ontology is developed, someone smarter or with
> more insight or standing on the shoulder of giants will use that
> onotlogy as a building block for a new and better higher level view
> of nature. We have not reached the end of science yet.
>
> In my days of leading similar standards developments, some of the
> best progress we made was when we banned discussions of (1) higher-
> level ontologies (though we called them something else back in
> those old days) and (2) acronyms.
>
> For those of you who have requested more references on my previous
> e-mail about experiment description, it will have to wait a few
> more days. Unfortunately bioinformatics have not solved my kidney
> stone issues, which severely limit my ability to pull the requested
> information together.
>
> John
>
> Dr. John Rumble
> Technical Director
> Information International Associates
> Oak Ridge TN
> www.infointl.com
> jrumble@iiaweb.com
> jumbleusa@earthlink.net
> 301 963 7903 (Home Office)
> 301 502 5729 (Cell)
> 865 298 1251 (Oak Ridge Office)

Bill Bug
Senior Analyst/Ontological Engineer

www.neuroterrain.org
Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy
Drexel University College of Medicine
2900 Queen Lane
Philadelphia, PA    19129
215 991 8430 (ph)
610 457 0443 (mobile)
215 843 9367 (fax)

This email and any accompanying attachments are confidential.
This information is intended solely for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed. Any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution, or use of this email communication by others is strictly
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please notify us
immediately by returning this message to the sender and delete
all copies. Thank you for your cooperation.