Re: scientific publishing task force update

Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk> on Mon, 12 Jun 2006:

>   MM> A colleague just pointed me to this (rather vacuous) article.
>   MM> Does anyone know more about this work?
>   MM> http://www.newscientisttech.com/article/dn9288-translator-lets-
>   MM> computers-understand-experiments-.html
>
> It's a middle ontology for describing experiments--hypothesis,
> conclusions that sort of thing. Larisa Soldatova and Ross King have
> been working on this for a couple of years. As some one else
> mentioned, it fits in with Ross' earlier work on a robot scientist
> which was really very nice.
>
> They also wrote an interesting paper on the state of bio-ontologies.
>
> Nature Biotechnology  23, 1095 - 1098 (2005)
> doi:10.1038/nbt0905-1095
> Are the current ontologies in biology good ontologies?
>
> Larisa N Soldatova & Ross D King

Also worth seeing: The MGED ontologies folks wrote a response to this
article that comments on the bio-ontology development process, and addresses
some statements Soldatova and King make about MO which the MO folks feel are
inaccurate or misleading:

Stoeckert C et al.  Nature Biotechnology 24, 21 - 22 (2006)
doi:10.1038/nbt0106-21b
Wrestling with SUMO and bio-ontologies
http://www.nature.com/nbt/journal/v24/n1/full/nbt0106-21b.html

The reliance on and choice of upper level ontology seems to be a big bone of
contention. Are there any good reviews on these discussing things like why
there are so many of them and why can't they be combined? Seems like the
current trend is to accept their existence and work towards making them
interoperable:

http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit

Steve