Re: BioRDF [Telcon]: slides for the UMLS presentation

OK.  I will be traveling most of the rest of the month for
non-Neurocommons related work.  But I'll return to this end of June and
start gathering some forces.  I'll also get in touch with Karen Skinner.

I'd been thinking about early December as a time frame and Boston as a
location.   I'll need to shift the planning up a notch, since if we're
going to have a bigger group I can't host it at MIT as planned.

The meeting will be free as in beer and free as in speech but I won't be
able to cover travel costs - just the hotel and the lunches.  If we're
going to get a group like this together, I'd also like to have some
hacking.  The Neurocommons RDF draft release will be out before the
meeting and I'd like to have at least a piece of the time be focused
around getting the users and the coders wired together on some problems,
use cases, and more.

jtw

William Bug wrote:

> Ditto, John!
>
> I'd also suggest including NCBO folks on this (specifically Daniel
> Rubin and Barry Smith), as I see an obvious convergence of needs and
> focus here - despite the fact some see the top-down ontological
> approach and the bottom-up SW approach as being difficult to reconcile.
>
> Cheers,
> Bill
>
> On Jun 8, 2006, at 10:24 AM, kei cheung wrote:
>
>> Hi John et al.,
>>
>> I think it's a great idea. Do you have some more information (e.g.,
>> meeting location and draft meeting agenda) about the Neurocommons
>> meeting you mentioned which Bill and I (and possibly others) can
>> share with the neurosceintists we're working (have worked) with to
>> see what they think?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> -Kei
>>
>> John Wilbanks wrote:
>>

>>> All,
>>>
>>> I've been following the discussion here with interest the last two
>>> weeks - with the Neurocommons project, Science Commons is taking  on
>>> both issues of intellectual property (on ontologies and  databases)
>>> and the semantic web in neuroscience.  We're text  mining the open
>>> content and indexing with public ontologies with a  focus on autism
>>> and epilepsy; draft RDF release is planned in the  november time frame.
>>>
>>> For what it's worth...we were planning on holding a Neurocommons
>>> meeting in the late fall / early winter and I'd be happy to expand
>>> that meeting to more of a global "meeting of the minds" between  SWeb
>>> and Neuro, if that's of use.  Let me know...
>>>
>>> jtw

> Bill Bug
> Senior Analyst/Ontological Engineer
>
> Laboratory for Bioimaging  & Anatomical Informatics
> www.neuroterrain.org
> Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy
> Drexel University College of Medicine
> 2900 Queen Lane
> Philadelphia, PA    19129
> 215 991 8430 (ph)
> 610 457 0443 (mobile)
> 215 843 9367 (fax)
>

> Please Note: I now have a new email - William.Bug@DrexelMed.edu
>

> This email and any accompany attachments are confidential. This
> information is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it
> is addressed. Any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of
> this email communication by others is strictly prohibited. If you are
> not the intended recipient please notify us immediately by returning
> this message to the sender and delete all copies. Thank you for your
> cooperation.

John Wilbanks
Executive Director
Science Commons